Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing HP when installing CAI without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 AM
azbigmike

Default Losing HP when installing CAI without tune?

I just bought my 05 Mustang GT auto last week and I went on RPMoutlet and bought the S&B intake kit. Claims of 25rwhp with out aftermarket tune. True or bunch of bs. Anyone with this kit with testimonies? Also I saw that if you add a aftermarket CAI without a tune/tuner, you will lose hp or the computer adjust itself back to stock, true or not. Please help me out. And if you all say send it backand get a CAI with tuner combo, votes on which one and prices paid shipped. The kit is still at the UPS store cuz I haven't been able to pick it up due to being out of town for x-mas. Help please and thank you.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 AM
qwerty

Default RE: Losing HP when installing CIA without tune?

I have the same question about AEM brute force. How does it work without a tune?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

This really depends on the CAI and your car etc. But generally speaking, if you get an aftermarket cold air intake, you probably will NOT lose power with out a tune, but you likely will not gain much either. So if you really want to see and feel a difference you're going to want to get a tuner. After you have the tuner, any big brand aftermarket intake will likely give you really great gains. Specifically for these new stangs, the intake and tuner is a great investment because of the rwhp gains. It really wakes the car up. The tuner will come in handy for future performance mods as well ;-)
Old 12-26-2006, 10:14 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Granatelli makes a cai with no tune needed as well, problem is, without a tuner you can't add other mods. I have a brenspeed C and L and tuner, definitely worth the extra beans, with brenspeed you can add stuff later and he will email you updated tunes for free if you buy the intake from him. These cars really come alive with a tune and intake, its the only thing they need unless you are drag racing and want to change gears etc... or go to a blower.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Some of the ones that don't require a tune use a recalibrated mass air sensor. I would just buy the sct X2 from brenspeed or equivalent tuner.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I don't know if the side exhaust makes a difference or not, but without tuning my Steeda makes the car die at idle and will hardly run. With the SCT tuner it runs like a bat.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Looks like a bat! ...and a mean *** one. :-)
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

I didn't realize the government was now into tuning Mustang's.......(see the title of this post)!!! Could be another conspiracy.[]

I have a K&N Typhoon CAI without a tune, and believe it or not my gas mileage is actually worse than the stock airbox/inlet tube. By about 2MPG. Has me scratching my head. I can't imagine it's running richer with more airflow, but I haven't put it on the box yet to see what's really going on. I plan to add a Saleen S/C w/ the 475 HP upgrade sometime in the Spring, so I'm hoping that their tune will resolve any A/F issues. If not, then I'll do the dyno tune if necessary.

UB10

Old 12-26-2006, 09:35 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Best advice and give to everyone... after you install you CAI... have it tuned by your local "tuner guy" so much better than a can tune... also get it on the dyno so that you know you are not running lean or rich.. every car is different...!!!!!!

JMO... BTW: I have the C&L with the SCT2 and love it... kind of $$$ but worth it in my book...

Rex
Old 12-26-2006, 09:57 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

underbird i have the same intake, actually its some no name brand i found on ebay for half price but identical to the typhoon - it has some half circle plate inside thats supposed to hold some sort of emissions thingy in place which my car doesnt have, so i cut it outta there and smoothed it out. did you "feel" any power gain after adding your intake? i put the cia and axle back flomasters on at the same time - i swear its actually slower off the line, but faster when its revved up (like when going to pass someone)

is this just my imagination or does anyone else feel me on this?

Quick Reply: Losing HP when installing CAI without tune?