Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT vs V6-my comparison report

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:21 AM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT vs V6-my comparison report

whoa, whoa, whoa......you're getting RID of your GT?

i'm gonna faint
Old 12-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I hope I don't offend anyone with this but...

To me, A Mustang is not a Mustang without the V8, without that big, loud, torquey(word?) V8 under the hood, it's not a true musclecar.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, I think the 6er is great car.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Alot of people have their own individual reasons why they got their V8 or V6, just remember its your money, spend it the way you want to... He obviously didnt like the way he was spending his money on gas, so hes making his money last longer by selling it.. very wise and smart decision IMO.... Just last year gas prices went $4.16/gal for regular 87 unleaded gas here in Hawaii... It went down (thank god) but now its on a steady climb back up... Im so glad that I bought my V6... It was a pain in the *** to pay $33 for 1/2 tank of gas... I had to quit my job and look for a closer to home job... it was just too much... oh well, i guess thats the price you pay to live in paradise... lol
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

yea i also think that no v-8= no muscle car. but if gas prices did bother me i wouldve gotten the v6er in a heartbeat
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Jersey I commend you on your honest appraisal of both vehicles.
I bought my Pony Package after test driving because both my wife and I liked the looks of the pony better. Money was not the consideration for us. Tucked in bumpers, front grill seemed more retro to us.The car had plenty of pep.
Being a little older, I remember the old school v8's quite well. Love the sound of the v8. Muscle car? maybe our 6'er isn't that, but it sure is a Pony car.
I happen to love all 'Stangs and take nothing away from the GT, it is an awesome car. I really like the old Foxes as well, and one of these days will buy one and my son and I will fix it up for him to drive.
With the upgrades to performance that I have done so far, I know I could keep up with a mildly modded GT pretty easy, but that wasn't my goal. I just wanted to have a good looking car that could be show and go worthy as well as being able to hang with the new wave import crowd.
The GT is a classic car, very good bang for your buck with performance compared to some of the imports, and I wouldn't bash anyone for getting one.
Honestly I hate reading some of the posts that state "Why didn't you buy a GT"
That is bad for the whole Mustang community. People buy what they buy for various reasons. Looks, economy, etc... In the end we all own Mustangs, and that ties us all together.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

There may be many valid reasons to prefer a V6 over a V8; but gas mileage should not be one of them. The EPA difference is what.....2 mpg? My GT yields me an actual 26 mpg highway if I run at or close to the speed limit.........23-24 mpg if I run the speed of traffic. Locally I get a real world 15-16....if I run a little hard or sit in a lot of traffic it drops to 14.

I can't beleive that the V6 is gonna do that much better so as to make any fuel savings meaningful.

Supercharging your V6 is...well....a personal preference but a V8 would be cheaper in the long run because of the resale value issue.

And there is no replacement for displacement in a musclecar.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Hmmmm...very interesting comparison. Until I read this thread, I had no idea the V-6's came close to the word, "Performance". I always assumed V-6's were just.....V6's. (coffee maker motors)

For me, its not so much the gas mileage. The mustangs gas tank is only what....13.5 gallons? Thats pretty small. I feel like Im stopping for gas every couple of days.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:29 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

A V6 Mustang is an Accord or Camry.........it's an appliance. It's fine as a DD but doesn't get any respect from anyone. The only real Mustangs have 8 cylinders pumping under the hood. A Mustang should be heard a block away when it starts up andgas milage shouldn't even be in your vocabulary.

Sorry if that offends some of you base Mustang owners.......it's just how I feel.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Ghettobooty
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm well... i had no idea auto's came close to the word "Performance" either. I always assumed auto's were just... people who didn't like more performance control of their car. (performance unenthusiasts)
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ghettobooty

Hmmm well... i had no idea auto's came close to the word "Performance" either. I always assumed auto's were just... people who didn't like more performance control of their car. (performance unenthusiasts)
I would agree with that statement as well........ I prefer to row the gears myself. However, I currentlyown anauto GTand I'll glad accept anyone's invitation in a performance test........especially a manual V6 stang. Ummmm....lunch.

Quick Reply: GT vs V6-my comparison report