Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 PM
grbrorng07
1st Gear Member

Default Lowering Springs! Need Help!!

I would like to lower my 07 V-6 to give a a better look.I am not looking for better performance just looks. Can I just do the springs and not have to do anything else. I was figuring about a1.5" drop. Any help would be great.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51868/F081731C5C084EE9A5C076F3FEB52DE0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Lowering Springs! Need Help!!

I have only done the springs so far. I might go with the Tokico D-spec when I get some extra cash soon. With the FRPP springs I am happy with the 1.5-2 drop and the ride quality isnt that bad either.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Although you can do just springs you will need new shocks and struts as the stockers will not last long due to the travel difference they were designed for. When you lower the vehicle you are taking the stock shocks out of the preferred dampening range and they will therefore wear out faster. Also since you will have to replace them at some point anyway why not simply do it all at once and save on labor be it with your own or having to pay someone. Do it right the first time and be done with it. All it requires is to save a little longer and it will benefit you in the long run.

Richard
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 PM
grbrorng07
1st Gear Member

Are the new struts and shocks adjustable or do they just come with the new travel built in them?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Depends on what kind you get. Not all are.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM
amiller44

I went with D-Spec and Steeda Sport Lowering Springs. I live in Michigan where the roads are bad. After a couple weeks, I changed the springs to Steeda Ultra Lites. Same amount of lowering but a much better ride for where I live. The Sport Springs were just to harsh.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:26 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

All you really need are the springs. I would put that $500 for new shocks/struts and spend it on adj. lower control arms and panhard bar. You'll want the control arms to adjust your pinion angle.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

I just had Tokicos put in yesterday, and I had Steeda Sport springs in there for alomst a year. Do them at once, the drop is nice but the ride quality is actually worse imo with lowering springs and stock shocks/struts. The tokicos made a day and night differece, I love them.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:24 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grbrorng07

Are the new struts and shocks adjustable or do they just come with the new travel built in them?
They are adjustable as far as the dampening/rebound. They have 7 settings so you can set them to be as firm or as soft as you want the ride to be.

Richard
Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

if you want it done RIGHT you must have the following things

1. adjustable panhard bar (center the rear)
2. adjustable upper or lower control arms (correct pinion angle)
3. shocks - you dont have to get Tokico's. If your not racing you dont need to be adjusting them, andthey are only single adjustable anyway - waste of money. Go with non-adjustable's from FRPP or Eibach or whoever you choose. Tokico's are all hype.
4. camber bolts/ alignment.

anyone who says you dont need these things is WRONG. People will say "my rear didn't shift over" - it will, you cant fight physics. Their springs may have not settled yet. When you lower the car, you basicly change the angle of the panhard rod, making it "longer" - pushing the rear to the left. The factory shocks suck with lowering springs - as explained above. You need to correct your pinion angle to protect your driveline. You need camber bolts to correct the negative camber that WILL present itself eventually. People dont realize that over time the springs will settle and soften up some, making these issues appear. If you cant afford to do it right, wait until you can.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs! Need Help!!