Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!?! Mouse Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 AM
rutus
1st Gear Member

Default HELP!?! Mouse Control

Anyone have any advice on keeping feild mice where they belong? I keep my car in a detached single garage and rarely drive it. Today was nice soI pulled her out to warm it up and go for a drive, when I walked around the back of the car i saw something fall out from the fuel tank area and then it scurried off into the woods! At that point I started tearing everything apart to see what kind of damage had been done, luckily not much. It seems to be only one and it was just starting to nest. There was a little insulation chewed in the glove compartment from the firewall but that was all I could find. The trunk and seats looked clean. Does anyone know of anything that will keep them out? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!?! Mouse Control

i vote for cats

Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dude, get some poison, but be careful if you have pets and get the some traps around the house. These critterswill chew on everything without mercy.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:01 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Did you check under your hood as well, they will eat the insulation off your wires too...I'd get some sticky traps and poison to help keep them away...it would suck to have them destroy your stang
Old 12-31-2006, 01:10 AM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Give them something more tasty than your car, POISON! If the car was parked/stored for long periods of time you can put tin around the perimiter of your car but that doesn't sound like the case here. You need to KILL THEM ALL! Traps work but poison gets them all.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ok, here's the deal:
1) no cover. not sure if you had one.
2) if you have electrical power out there or can put an extension cord out there install a double tube 4' florescent in the ceiling. Keep it on 24x7. Costs nothing to run.
3) NO POISON of any kind. You don't want a dead mouse in the car, especially one you can't find or get to, in your car. The car will smell forever.
4) traps, 6 or more around the inside perimeter, (use peanut butter); Check every few days.
5) park car on dryer sheets, buy the ones with the highest scent level.
6) cut small boxes of moth ***** in half. Poke holes in boxes. One on outside and one on inside, on the floor next to each of the 4 tires. These moth ***** will not transmit any smell to the inside of your car. Cansprinkle some around the inside perimeter where you think they may come in. (They last about 2-3 months)
7) In the daylight, from inside look for any openings that you can close off.

If no power out there don't worry about item 2 above, you will have no problems if you follow the remaining steps. Still check the car when you go out there. ...under hood, trunk, interior, glove box, leave visors down, but should be no problem.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Fairlane is right. The wood traps with the wire spring work great. And they do love the peanut butter, not cheese. If they are getting in and you don't know where just keep several traps set continuously and you will eventially get rid of them.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:10 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Mice are such sneaky quick little creatures i had one in my apartment for awhile (still might be there) but i cant catch him for anything ... id be scared if they were in the stang idk.... hopefully theres no girl mice around then there will be a whole lot more little mice...
Old 12-31-2006, 02:50 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I've been lucky...A quick cat and a terrier with ratting in his genes have kept all sorts of rats & mice away from our cars..But if you should still have problems, make sure you kill them off with traps and block off paths.

I don't know what area of the country you live in, but nests of mice can not only damage your wiring, it can also invite other, more dangerous fauna, namely snakes. Our neighbor was almost bitten by a rattlesnake this past spring because it had come into their garage and polished off some mice that they'd been having problems with.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

My brother had this problem once, chew all his wiring up, Fairlane has some of the best suggestions, also use Decon, will dry them up and get rid of them, you can buy a box of 4 at Wally-world pretty cheap, I keep stocked up cause I have a new house on old farm land so when it gets cold they go looking for a warm place, and that stuff really works, they wont smell either. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: HELP!?! Mouse Control