Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing headers, I need pointers and tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing headers, I need pointers and tips

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Do they sell LTs for V6s? I've never looked...
Yup, they do.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

if you're every planning to do motor mounts this would be an opportune moment...
the headers will be simple as cake (probably a 20 minute job) if the motormounts and stock motor brackets are off the car...the very reason the headers are difficult to access is because of the small clearing between the lower header bolts on both sides and the top of the motor mount brackets...

that's the way I would do it if I had to do it again....

+10 on the gear wrench, with the motormount brackets out of the way you wont need it..but itis literallyIMPOSSIBLE to reach the lower header bolts with anything but a "gear wrench" assuming the engine brackets are still in place
Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

if you're every planning to do motor mounts this would be an opportune moment...
the headers will be simple as cake (probably a 20 minute job) if the motormounts and stock motor brackets are off the car...the very reason the headers are difficult to access is because of the small clearing between the lower header bolts on both sides and the top of the motor mount brackets...

+10 on the gear wrench, with the motormount brackets out of the way you wont need it..but itis literallyIMPOSSIBLE to reach the lower header bolts with anything but a "gear wrench" assuming the engine brackets are still in place
I was thinking WOW your fast to do it in 20 but then saw you have shorty headers. With Kooks LTs its the tubes that get in the way of the back bolt on the drivers side from the bottom. You have to undo the steering shaft and still perform some magic to squeeze them in to place. So when I read that I thought that was amazing.Your right though it would be best to do both at the same time, since it would be almost impossible if not impossibleto put LTs in without removing the motor mount bracket.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

It is definately not a 20 minute job. I spent 20 minutes trying to get one of the bolts on the cat off. I didn't succede, and I decided to wait untill the weekend.

Does anyone know how to remove the large nut on the driver side header? It is some type of vacuum or sensor....

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr