Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing headers, I need pointers and tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default Installing headers, I need pointers and tips

Today I am going to install my Mac shorty headers. Other that unbolting the bolts, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I reuse the old bolts or use the ones Mac sent with the headers? Any other tips to make the install go easier?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing headers, I need pointers and tips

Yes. Sell/return the shorties and buy longtubes instead. There's not much of a point in buying the shorties and then going through all the install hassles for a measly 3-5 HP.

For installation of either, there are two tools that are invaluable, and will save you a lot of time, cursing, and busted knuckles:

1, a 5mm 1/4-inch drive socket. This is a fairly strange size that isn't in most sets. You need this to remove the OEM studs.

2, a 13mm "gear wrench", preferably the flexible-head kind. This makes removing the header nuts (and tightnening your new bolts) much easier.

I would use the new bolts that Mac provided. You probably won't be able to re-use the OEM studs becasue of clearance issues. Don't forget the anti-seize compound on the header flange bolts as well as those where the collector joins the midpipe...basically anything that gets exposed to exhaust heat needs anti-seize.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I assume the "anti-seize" is like a loctite, right? It just prevents the bolt from wiggling loose, right?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Anti-seize is different than loctite. It is basically a grease, which contains a fine suspension of particles as well as extreme pressure (EP) lubricants. The purpose of it is to stop galvanic corrosion in fasteners as well as galling,whichare generally what causes bolts to become stuck. Any auto parts store will have it. Justask for "high temp anti-seize". You should also use this on spark plug threads.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I agree with everything CrazyAI said but mainly want to point out the need for a gear wrench. I would not even try this without one. In the Kooks LT headers the back lower driver side header bolt is crazy hard to get to. Even with a gear wrench it was a beast. I had to go 1 click at a time. Without a gear wrench I would have been one pissed off sucker by the end.

Also installing headers is a PITA. I would never do it for 5hp. Make it worth your time and get LTs.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Is there a preference between copper and nickle anti sieze? I have always got nickle but when I was doing my headers I sent my wife and she came back with copper. Is still said high temp so I used it.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Theoretically, Nickel-based anti-seize is better than the copper-based. However, I have used both and never had a problem with either one.

Here's a simple overview:

http://www.sacskyranch.com/antiseize.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Do they sell LTs for V6s? I've never looked...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Ohh I didnt realize we were talking about a V6[:@]. Good catch. I have no idea what it takes to install headers in a V6 or what is avalible. I would expect it to be easier than a GT. (Smaller engine more room)
Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I gave him the V6 PDFs and a link to the Kooks/Dynatech install instructions over at MF in case they help. Gotta say the V6 looks easier to do.

Quick Reply: Installing headers, I need pointers and tips