Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli CAI? Too good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI? Too good?

I have the GMS CAI and was going to install it without a tune then i got it and decided that i need a tune and i love it ... i just kept the stock MAF so i didnt run into any problems but it looks great love the polished look and Brenspeed took care of the rest i love it!!! if you get it and just want to have the cai and want to get a tune later on just keep your stock MAF and switch it back when you get it

Old 01-03-2007, 01:34 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

I have the GMS CAI and was going to install it without a tune then i got it and decided that i need a tune and i love it ... i just kept the stock MAF so i didnt run into any problems but it looks great love the polished look and Brenspeed took care of the rest i love it!!! if you get it and just want to have the cai and want to get a tune later on just keep your stock MAF and switch it back when you get it

Looks purdy WhiteStallion06. Wish I had purchased the polished version it looks so much better. Did you use a small clamp on the breather tube to hold it in place? I think I'll do that to make sure it doesn't come off. I am thinking about getting a tune with my Granatelli CAI. I know you love it but did you notice a big improvement over just the CAI? Did the great exhaust sound change at all.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

Unless you have the A/F ratio checked, doesn't mean your running up to par or safe. Brenspeed told me that I could either keep in the GMS re-calibrated MAF sensor or change it with my Stock one, so it didn't matter. Brent suggested to just leave in the GMS sensorbecause ifI decided to takethe tuneback to stock, I wouldn't have to change out the MAF sensors. which leads me to belive thatIwould of had a lean condition either with the stock MAFsensor or the GMS recalibrated one.

wingman75, I can answer some of those questions , I used small black wire ties to ensure that the breater tube would notcome loose. TheSCTtuner from BrenSpeed, coupled with the CAI kit made the car feel like a whole new car. besides the lean condition, LOL, I'm really Impressed with how a tune makes a difference. oh and I didn't notice any exhaust note change.

ohand yeah, I got the Satin model only because I knew ithad potential ofbeing able to add a little bling to it, LOL

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Looks good Quick S. I got the same unit because I thought of powder coating as well. Polished is fine for other people, but I am not much for the polished look.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick S
wingman75, I can answer some of those questions , I used small black wire ties to ensure that the breater tube would not come loose. The SCT tuner from BrenSpeed, coupled with the CAI kit made the car feel like a whole new car. besides the lean condition, LOL, I'm really Impressed with how a tune makes a difference. oh and I didn't notice any exhaust note change.

oh and yeah, I got the Satin model only because I knew it had potential of being able to add a little bling to it, LOL

AFTER

Quick S thanks. I like the look you got. What filter are you using? It looks a bit smaller but nicer. And it looks like it fits better, not jamming the brake lines. The braided breather hose looks good as well. How did you attatch all those fittings?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Guys

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Quick S thanks. I like the look you got. What filter are you using? It looks a bit smaller but nicer. And it looks like it fits better, not jamming the brake lines. The braided breather hose looks good as well. How did you attatch all those fittings?
The filter is called the Power Adder from Spectrum Performance, it is a non-oiled filter (required by GMS for there CAI kit) which is made out of Stainless. It does fit better then the GMS filter but with the GMS filter, I just gently moved the brake lines out of the way. Now because of the Power Adder filter design,being stainless, its easy to clean, canbe dried in put back in car in like 20 minutes after cleaning, anditsmesh screening allows more air flow then you coventional filter, now with that said, because if its stainless steel mesh design,you have to clean it alotmore often, and if you live in area where there isalot of dust and dirt that blows around ( example: farm land, dirt road, etc....)I would not recomend this filter.
The couplerfittings on the Braided stainless lines are fake, they are basiclyfor show, inside the coupler fittings are hose clamps to secure all your lines. You cancan get the braidedstainless line kitsand filter atAuto Zone. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I have noticed that the GMS filter is a lot smaller looking than the c&l or jlt .... do you think this is affecting flow much... do they get more power because they have a bigger filter or is it not really that big of a deal?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Both the C&L and the JLT kits make more HP than the GMS (with tunes in all cases)....so there has got to be a reason why. The filter might well be a factor.

However, the HP difference is so small (2-3 HP) who cares? That kind of HP discrepancy is less than the error of the dyno!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 AM
seraphim

I've got the JLT Series II True Cold Air Intake & Custom Tuned SCT XCalibrator 2 running Evolution's 91 tune. I love this baby. From the time I completed the 1/2 hour installation, fired it up and took it for a run, I could tell I had a different machine. I've been running it now for about 2 months and it just gets better. I still don't have the throttle response I'd like to have, but the Auto Trans tune in Evolution's tune has really improved my runs. Go get 'em Evolution.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53210/0B5FF19AAA554D318B0137DF4BBFA92D.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]local://upfiles/53210/1F3C3CEAF47547FABAC05805EEFC7C30.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]local://upfiles/53210/0C319FF37F204EEFBF06E1C06349F9EB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53210/ED254D8702104DD3B10A3E31D19012FD.jpg[/IMG]