Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

The transmission will turn to the side under hard acceleration so it's not always straight up.

ORIGINAL: Barbarino

It's you not the car, when you shift you should be going straight up, the trans won't let it into 1st gear, no need to guide it into 3rd.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:57 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

Default RE: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

It takes time to learn any new car. One thing I learned about the mustang gtis that each gear is like a two step motion. You have to go gentle so to speak. If you rush it you loose.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm learning. In a week or so I'll know how bad it gets at higher revs and then decide whether or not to do the mods. Annoying, really but so far the only thing I don't like about the car.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Definately do the Hurst shifter and soon after add the K member brace and torque limiters to make it even better!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Maybe I got a real good one, my TR3650 shifts perfect regardless of regular shifting, or power shifting thru any gear. It even shifts smoothly without the clutch, but it does have to pause in neutral, and alittle pressure before it slides in.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

I never had shifting problems but I went with the short throw Steeda Tri Ax and it is perfect! Slides from 2nd to 3rd like it was doing the shifting for me. Very cool.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

Yeah this is beginning to annoy me now. Driving sedately, the shift into third is fine at less than 3k rpm (as long as I "pause" the stick for a beat in neutral) but above that number it gets notchy and stubborn. My car is still under warranty so I guess the next step is to talk to the Ford service manager about which performance shop can do the work without voiding the warranty. They had a local specialty shop to the lowering, CAI and exhaust tuning without jeopardising the warranty so I think it'll be ok. Dunno what it will cost though.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

Yeah this is beginning to annoy me now. Driving sedately, the shift into third is fine at less than 3k rpm (as long as I "pause" the stick for a beat in neutral) but above that number it gets notchy and stubborn. My car is still under warranty so I guess the next step is to talk to the Ford service manager about which performance shop can do the work without voiding the warranty. They had a local specialty shop to the lowering, CAI and exhaust tuning without jeopardising the warranty so I think it'll be ok. Dunno what it will cost though.
Since they legally CAN'T void your warranty, it will cost $180.00 for the Hurst shifter, and $0.00 to install it on your own in 30 minutes with just a couple common tools (and loctite).
Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I've had this problem afew times with my V6. I thought it might be the synchros...but honestly, I'm not sure. It feels like it doesn't want to go into third sometimes and pushes back out. I've developed a trick to it though...I take my time going into 3rd to get a feel for it. I'm interested in just replacing it with a Hurst honestly Anyone have ideas on what this problem could be though?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

I've had this problem afew times with my V6. I thought it might be the synchros...but honestly, I'm not sure. It feels like it doesn't want to go into third sometimes and pushes back out. I've developed a trick to it though...I take my time going into 3rd to get a feel for it. I'm interested in just replacing it with a Hurst honestly Anyone have ideas on what this problem could be though?
Here's the best diagnosis I've had so far, thanks to 07GT:

Do some searching on the mustang sites and you'll see that 3rd gear is a problem because the hydro engine mounts apparently allow the engine to move enough to bind up the shifter which is mounted to the trans and the body both. There are 2 ways to fix it. The Che K-member + torque limiters or the Prothane motor mounts. I went with the motor mounts.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Thanks a bunch I'm thinking motor mounts since I've been looking to change them anyways.

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Here's the best diagnosis I've had so far, thanks to 07GT:

Do some searching on the mustang sites and you'll see that 3rd gear is a problem because the hydro engine mounts apparently allow the engine to move enough to bind up the shifter which is mounted to the trans and the body both. There are 2 ways to fix it. The Che K-member + torque limiters or the Prothane motor mounts. I went with the motor mounts.

Quick Reply: They seek him here, they seek him there, that darned elusive 3rd gear