Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI questions for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI questions for a newbie

The stickied posts on this forum have a link to a warranty discussion that basically says mods to your car do not void the warranty, so I wouldn't expect this to be a problem

can anyone discuss this running lean business? I heard it's really bad for the engine, I guess it means that you're running without enough fuel in the fuel / air mixture, right? how sure are we that the granatelli does not make the car run lean? I plan on driving this mustang for a looong time

thanks again for all the great, newbie-friendly answers
I'm seriously considering the granatelli now, especially since it doesn't need a tune. 350 isn't that much money to spend on something, but 700 dollars is hard for me to justify. I'd rather put that 700 into my financing and pay my loan off that much quicker. but taking 350 and putting it into the car isn't such a hit on the financing end
Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
moonshine89

well, how do you guys feel about the even cheaper K&N aircharger kit for the 05 and 06's?? i can find prices ranging from 200 to 300 and theres no need for a tune with K&N either. o yea, question...i can get a C+L racer intake kit for 200, but i know once i get it i need to get my car tuned....should i? is it worth it?? or should i stick with the the K&N??
Old 01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

The simpleanswer to all these various questions is go to www.brenspeed.com and buy a CAI/tuner combo, install, be happy. The stock airbox sucks, the sooner you get if off your car the better.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

I have a K & N CAI which, with the Magnaflow exhaust tune, makes the car breathe a whole lot better and go much, much faster than the stock 07 GT which I drove as a loaner.

I'm intrigued by the tune issue as I'm a little irritated by the throttle lag, something I've never experienced in a stick shift before. I wonder if someone would care to enlighten me:

- Is there any downside to having itdone after installing a CAI that requires no tune?

- Is it purely electronic or electronic/mechanical?

- Is it a pretty common process, familiar to just about any decent Mustang performance shop?

-What might it cost, ballpark?

- Does it require a gas upgrade to premium unleaded? OK if it does, just curious.

As always, thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I am very happy with my Granatelli CAI and I do not have a tune yet. It is simple to install and performance gains are very obvious... you won't have to say, I think its an improvment but I can't tell for sure... you will know and you will be happy. The sound is not in the intake but its an improved growl from the exhaust. It is sweet.

I may get a tune in the future but I'm not sure what tuner to get. I've talked to Lidio at Alternative Auto about a custom tune using my Granatelli CAI, and he said he hasn't done one with the Granatelli yet but he will do it.

Granatelli also has come out with a tuner of their own, the Fuego, but I haven't heard of anyone that has it yet. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has it. Anybody?????