Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI questions for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI questions for a newbie

Hey all, I've been hearing a lot about this CAI stuff since I started reading these forums. I'm no mechanic or car junkie so I don't know anything about these mods, etc.

Anyway so this CAI thing sounds cool, more power and slightly improved gas mileage. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to via the search feature, since everyone is usually talking about price / performance gains more so than these

1. what exactly does a CAI do?
2. how much do they cost?
3. can they be installed by someone like me, or does it require a professional installation?
4. what's a tuner? is it a part you put in the car? or is it a tune-up of the computer system, or something?
5. edit: are there any pics around of these things installed?

If someone can point me to an FAQ I missed that answers these basic questions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 AM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CAI questions for a newbie

And also how much louder is it?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

1) CAI Stands for Cold Air Intake. Colder air is more dense than warmer air, providing a better fuel-to-air combustion rate, thus providing more power. This is why you get more oomph out of your car when you drive it on a cold winter night versus driving it on a blazing hot summer day. The CAI helps your car to get cooler air.

2) CAI prices vary depending on whether you get a tuner or not with them. I've seen CAIs for $250, and I've seen them for $750. The more expensive ones come with the tuners, but are worth it. (more about tuners in a minute)

3) If you can turn a ratchet or a screwdriver, you can install a CAI. They're bolt on; you just remove your current air filter and plastic intake tube and connect the new one. It's almost idiotproof in the install for the hardware. That being said, some idiot somewhere will prove me wrong in saying it's idiotproof, but I digress...

4) Tuners - These are either a preprogrammed chip that will reprogram your ECU (Emissions Control Unit, also known as a PCM or Pollutions Control Module), or they're a mini-computer that will re-tune your car, somewhat like when you take it in for a tune-up. I personally prefer the tuners that allow you to program it yourself, (i.e. Brenspeed, Diablosport, etc) because they also allow you the option to return it to stock settings, should you ever need to remove the intake.

5) Pictures of installed CAIs - Run a search on "Granatelli CAI". I just saw someone with a shiny silver CAI installed in their car. I'm not positive if it's the Granatelli one, but it's a good example of a CAI installed.

6) How loud is it? - Depends on how much you rev your engine! The more air the engine tries to pull, the louder the air going in is going to be. It's honestly not much louder than a stock intake, from what I can tell...Your exhaust note is going to cover it up.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

1) CAI Stands for Cold Air Intake. Colder air is more dense than warmer air, providing a better fuel-to-air combustion rate, thus providing more power. This is why you get more oomph out of your car when you drive it on a cold winter night versus driving it on a blazing hot summer day. The CAI helps your car to get cooler air.

2) CAI prices vary depending on whether you get a tuner or not with them. I've seen CAIs for $250, and I've seen them for $750. The more expensive ones come with the tuners, but are worth it. (more about tuners in a minute)

3) If you can turn a ratchet or a screwdriver, you can install a CAI. They're bolt on; you just remove your current air filter and plastic intake tube and connect the new one. It's almost idiotproof in the install for the hardware. That being said, some idiot somewhere will prove me wrong in saying it's idiotproof, but I digress...

4) Tuners - These are either a preprogrammed chip that will reprogram your ECU (Emissions Control Unit, also known as a PCM or Pollutions Control Module), or they're a mini-computer that will re-tune your car, somewhat like when you take it in for a tune-up. I personally prefer the tuners that allow you to program it yourself, (i.e. Brenspeed, Diablosport, etc) because they also allow you the option to return it to stock settings, should you ever need to remove the intake.

5) Pictures of installed CAIs - Run a search on "Granatelli CAI". I just saw someone with a shiny silver CAI installed in their car. I'm not positive if it's the Granatelli one, but it's a good example of a CAI installed.

6) How loud is it? - Depends on how much you rev your engine! The more air the engine tries to pull, the louder the air going in is going to be. It's honestly not much louder than a stock intake, from what I can tell...Your exhaust note is going to cover it up.
Kickass reply! Answered my question too and kept me from having to screw with the "Search" function on the forums! You apparently have nothing else to do either at 2:41am!

Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

No prob, although that was done at work here in California at 11:30 PM.

I had asked this same question about 6 or 7 years ago, when I was first starting to get involved with tuning Saturns...On those cars, a CAI makes a big difference, because it's got a restrictive little airbox. I also noticed on my dad's 2002 Harley Davidson F150, which is supercharged, a cold air intake made a WORLD of difference. Instead of being choked off and not getting any power, now the thing wants to GO when you stomp on it.

That one's a little louder than my old Saturn, but once it whines up, the supercharger's whine covers up the air suction noise.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

Guys also on normal driving did your gas milage went down?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

its supposed to go up - and if your cheap like i was you can pick up a CAI on ebay for 100.00 with shipping. they are k&n typhoon knock offs and only add about 9 HP instead of 15+ like some of the others - but no tune required and their cheeeep =)
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

honest injun -- my gas mileage around town went up3 miles per gallon after I installed my Granatelli.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

its supposed to go up - and if your cheap like i was you can pick up a CAI on ebay for 100.00 with shipping. they are k&n typhoon knock offs and only add about 9 HP instead of 15+ like some of the others - but no tune required and their cheeeep =)
Yes, but as noted in many previous posts, "cheap" CAIs can actually cause your engine to run lean, vastly shortening your engine life and doing engine damage. I, for one, would rather get a proper CAI, along with a tuner, to keep my engine running right and NOT have its engine blow up.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Sprzout - i certainly hear ya. would i be safe to assume that if a "cheap" cai uses a stock size tube where the mass airflow sensor is then a person shouldnt run into this? i havent heard any pinging or anything and my wife has put regular (low octane) gas in a few times out of habit at the pump.

Quick Reply: CAI questions for a newbie