Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future value

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Future value

ORIGINAL: cfr865

Ibought a 68 road runner brand new then traded it for a 70 Cuda 383, sold it 20 yrs. ago for what I bought it for new, thought I was getting a good deal. All my friends had SS chevelles, Nova's, Boss 302 Mach 1, None of us had any idea what these cars would be worth 30 yrs. later, just like nobody knows what the GT will be worth in 30 yrs. especially if we go to battery cars. I have no plans in getting rid of mine, probably will will to my grandson.
I think that is the big kicker for the value of these cars to increase in value, even the GT exspecially 10 years from now with the price of gas and insurance. So to buy a new high performance V8 may be a thing of the past or just too expensive for the average person. Plus Ford doesn't seem to be making this body style for more then 4 or 5 years.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

in general, cars are crappy long term investments. Even if you sell today's GT cobra for $400,000 in 30 years...think of the cost of owning and maintaining it for all of that time.....and think of what else you might have done with all the money.

Now....find an old 426 Hemi in an old barn and buy it for $1000, then spend $30,000 restoring it over a 1 year period and then sell it for $100,000....that is a good ROI. But how often does that happen......
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Blown Mustang V6's will be the future hot auction cars.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

I won't be around in another 30 years tothink about it, thats why I enjoy it now.If you notice the people that are buying these cars are not the average Joe. Most people who bought these cars back then probably wouldn' t have dreamed prices would go crazy like they have and if it wasn' t for the rich they wouldn' t have. People nowadays are hoping for the same thing but I think you may have more of a choice in 30 years because there will be more people putting these new models up on a PEDESTAL to hopefully make a killing in the future. I lived the era of the late 60's, my first new car was a 69 Chevelle SS 396-375HP car. I still have the bill of sale from the Dealer $3,726.51 total cash price. Boy, wouldn' t it be nice to only have to spend that now. I've had many more enjoyed them and moved on to something else. Now I'm living the second round of these cars with my 05 Mustang GT as my Toy. To methese cars were made to be enjoyed not to bebought to make money on,rememberyou only go around once.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

Apparently, either Barrett-Jackson, or someone else on speed is planning on doing a TV auction for cars that the average joe can afford (like $50K and under)...have like tuner import cars, modded stangs, 300C's, euro cars, etc. Should be just as entertaining as the big-ticket cars.

Also, I'm hoping that the GT will retain more value than my ZX3 Focus did...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Especially if you have a Saleen, Roush, Cobra, or Shelby.
those will be worth *something* but the reason the older muscle cars go for so much is simply because of the types of cars detroit was making in the mid 60's to early 70's

i mean, i love my mustang II - junk yards crush them and mustang fans hate them, which means they are becoming more rare than the older stangs.... (and VERY limited availability for parts) they will never be worth 100k IMO

we'll see though, i bought it when i was 15, have had it for 10 years and even though my wife hates it i will never, ever, ever sell that car. i will wrap myself around a tree and die in it, or i will leave it to my son.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

I dont care what mine will be worth in 30 years, but i do like having one thats an odd, two year only color. Only around 7,000 Legend Lime Mustangs made in 2005. Only around 2,000 V6's with the Dark Charcoal interior. Im more interested in having a one of a kind Mustang in 30 years that having a million dollar one.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I went to the Palm Beach auction last year and I plan to go again this year. Unfortunately, I don't believe that regular 2005-2007 GT's will be collectors untill 35-40 years from now. The GT500s will definately be collectors as well as the Parnelli Jones/Saleen cars. I think the Foose/Roush/Saleens will become more of a collectors car 25 years from now.

ORIGINAL: JimC

Barrett-Jackson is quite the event live. I went to the Palm Beach auction last March/April 2006.

Lot of nice cars, lots of people, and a lot of people with a lot of disposable income buying cars. Some get caught up in the bidding wars - my wife and I happened to have lunch with a couple that were bidding, and they said it is very easy to lose track of exactly what you are doing if you aren't careful -- kind of like Vegas, you forget you are talking about real money in the frenzy.

If you get a chance to go to one of their auction events, I think it is well worth the time. (my daughter wanted to know if we could go back again this year, and get bidder numbers -- had to tell her only if she can tell me the winning lottery numbers before we go).
Jason -- have fun there, we won't be making the trip down this year because we have a Europe trip planned so decided not to go to Palm Beach this year. I see your information says "Greenville" -- is that North Carolina or Michigan? I live in Michigan, but my wife went to her first two years of college at UNCG.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

To say the older cars were just like current stangs is wrong. A 70 Hemi Cuda convertible is a1 of 6 car. That's kinda rare.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

my thoughts are whats going to happen when we switch to hydrogen or whatever alternate energy we are going to use? are gas cars going o Raise in value or are they going to plummet? will gas even be available? or legal to run? Who knows....30 years is along time in this day and age....think of all the advancements in the last 30 years...and technology is growing faster and faster.....WHO KNOWS? NOT I!

Quick Reply: Future value