Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can your Mustang GT do that?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can your Mustang GT do that?

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I did consider it, that's why a low powered ranger can do it. I was an expert drifter in my ranger. It was also slammed to the ground.

You'd want special tires just for doing that. I can't see anyone with a mustang running some 285's doing that. I wonder what the widest tire is on the cars in that video?

I also live on a dirt road and the mustang is great in the dirt, just don't punch it going straight.

ORIGINAL: mattblasi
Moosetange consider also that the Ranger has less weight over the rear tires so it is easier for them to break loose. Not that you are not correct but just tires may not do it.
The larges we have ever used was 255s, and I agree you defenitly want a seperate set of tires for that. And my friend Ben runs 255s on all 4 corneres of his rally car.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

I would just line-lock on top of the cones [sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

I am trying to determine how it is rice? If you think what was being done in the video is easy, then I want to see a video of you doing better. It seems any time someone mentions drifting it is imediatly called rice, and it seems to generally come (but not allways and not from everyone) from younger guys who know only how to drag race. BTW domestic cars are very popular in US Drift there are a few Mustangs, a Dodge Charger, a Viper, and a few Corvettes.

I am really tired of all the Rice this and Rice that because you do not like it, damit if its rice back it up with an explanation and FACTS not your usless, unsupported thoughts.

BTW What do you do on dirt? YOU DRIFT A TURN, I have raced a few dirt tracks and a friend of mine is big into US Rally X drifting on the street uses some of the same principles of drifting on dirt. So I guess all those old shine runners and bootleggers were all drivin riced out mustangs, chevelles, camaros, firebirds, chargers, daytonas and dusters huh.

Moosetange consider also that the Ranger has less weight over the rear tires so it is easier for them to break loose. Not that you are not correct but just tires may not do it.

Those who call rice need to grow the hell up....
drifting is very complicated. i respect drifters. i disrespect the first guy you see in that video. he looks and acts like a tool.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM
redfiregt2006
1st Gear Member

i think those exhausts sound like rice. i dont like them at all.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:16 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, never been a fan of drifting myself. So some idiot started getting his fishtailing under control and they decided to make a "sport" out of it? I've watched it live and on TV, and it just doesn't excite me...kinda like NASCAR. It's the same thing over and over again. I think maybe if they threw some obstacles out on the course, or just randomly reversed it, or threw in some different turns, then it might be more interesting. But when they run the same course over and over again...I tend to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

Sorry, never been a fan of drifting myself. So some idiot started getting his fishtailing under control and they decided to make a "sport" out of it? I've watched it live and on TV, and it just doesn't excite me...kinda like NASCAR. It's the same thing over and over again. I think maybe if they threw some obstacles out on the course, or just randomly reversed it, or threw in some different turns, then it might be more interesting. But when they run the same course over and over again...I tend to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Actually each event has a differnt course set up, and have you ever tried to control a slide. AutoX and Rally use alot of the same setups, I understand different people like differnt things, personally I prefer Grand Am and Formula 1 Racing.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

drag strip, straight line over and over and over again.

rofl

the cars in that video are very light and well balanced, (s13, s14, hachiroku, FC) they dont make much power (dont need to, as its all in suspension and driver skill).

most of those guys will still use 235-255s, having tires that suck is a big nono in drifting, you need tires that are predictable and actually have grip as weird as it may sound lol
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

I like Rally Racing. And I definitely prefer F1 and KART series racing over NASCAR and the like.

Being a former Nissan owner, I'm well aware of what kind of cars they use for drifting. I tried to get into the whole thing, I just couldn't. I don't really know why, I just found it incredibly boring. I know it takes skill, and I respect the guys (and girls) for going out there and doing it. It's just not my thing.

And believe me, I've tried to control slides. I put a lifted 84 Ranger on 2 wheels once, and it's not something I intend to do again. And I'm not a big fan of drag racing either. But at least it's fast... Like I said, I prefer the kind of racing with left AND right turns, where the cars remain under "control".
Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Drifting would be fun to do but not in my car.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:37 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

I just seen a TV show not long ago on just this topic.. driffting...

guess what car they used..??? yes a new Mustang GT.. so it can be done as I seen it with my own two eyes....

R

Quick Reply: Can your Mustang GT do that?