Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCTXCAL II Tuner Question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

Default SCTXCAL II Tuner Question....

I'm buying an SCT XCAL II tuner in the next few weeks...I have a friend who has a v6 AT , I have an MT,Now, after I load my tune I disconnect the xcal and drive off... if I wanted to buy a tune for theAT and have it downloaded to my xcal is that possible to use the same xcal for both cars???
Old 01-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SCTXCAL II Tuner Question....

I would think that it's possible but I'm not a 100% sure. If you haven't bought your tuner yet then do not buy it from American Muscle. I bought mine from them a month and half ago and my car still isn't tuned. the customer servie is horrible too. Try Brenspeed or Bamachips. I'll be going with one of those 2 here in a week to get my car tuned the way I should have to begin with
Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

If I understand what you're asking, no, it is not possible. As soon as you plug the tuner into your car and flash its computer the tuner will be vin locked to your car. One tuner, one car.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

Then how are people selling used tuners???
Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

When you flash your car with the after-market tune, the tuner downloads your car's original factory tune into the tuner and vin locks. If you want, you can always re-upload your stock tune back to the car and thereby unlock the tuner. As long as the stock tune is in the tuner, though, you're stuck.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

4th Horseman is 100% correct...

R
Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM
StangNeWbieDJB
2nd Gear Member

So you have to restore the car back to it'sstock settings using the tuner then it becomes unlocked and available for someone else to use... Gottcha!

So, would you recommend buying a used tuner??? Is it possible toget a tuner from a v8 and have someone like Brenspeed send me the codes for a v6???

( reason is I met a chick and she has an auto v6and I told her I could hook her up) OOPS! LOL! ((Must find new angle!!!))
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

The SCT XCal 2is locked to a specific car with regards to loading custom tunes, but it can still read and erase codes on other cars so...
[ol][*]Getthe tuner (with a good custom tune) for your car.[*]Tune your car.[*]Invite the "friend" over.[*]Use your tuner to read some codes on her car, push a few buttons, make it beep, etc.[*]Tell her that her car is the hottest v6 on the planet now.[*]...and also tell her if the car feels sluggish again she should come over to your place with a case of beer and you'll fix it again.[/ol]
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gidyup

The SCT XCal 2 is locked to a specific car with regards to loading custom tunes, but it can still read and erase codes on other cars so...
[ol][*]Get the tuner (with a good custom tune) for your car.[*]Tune your car.[*]Invite the "friend" over.[*]Use your tuner to read some codes on her car, push a few buttons, make it beep, etc.[*]Tell her that her car is the hottest v6 on the planet now.[*]...and also tell her if the car feels sluggish again she should come over to your place with a case of beer and you'll fix it again.[/ol]
This man is a genius! [sm=hail.gif]
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangNeWbieDJB
So, would you recommend buying a used tuner??? Is it possible to get a tuner from a v8 and have someone like Brenspeed send me the codes for a v6???
I think any tuner for a modern Ford vehicle should be able to handle it, you'll just need a V6 program for it. If you're going to do this you'll need to get the code for her computer (usually on a sticker stuck to the side of the PCM computer module itself). The tuning company you work with will need to know the model year of the car, the computer code and the transmission type (manual or auto). You could then either send the tuner to them to have them load it, or some places will email you the file and you can use SCT's software to load it onto the tuner.

But that's a lot of work and money for a date. Go with Gidyup's maneuver.

Quick Reply: SCTXCAL II Tuner Question....