Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Default Long tube headers?

Ive read many posts on here saying to shy away from short tube headers and spend the extra $ and get the long tubes. This is fine to me, as i understand they free up quite a bit of hp. My question is this, is all i need the long tube headers or is there certain mid pipes that they require and a bunch of other neccissary pieces for intallation? I have price checked some headers and found them to be in the 500-600 dollar range, which is fine if that is all i need but an H pipe or whatever can run another 200. Sorry to ramble on but if anyone knows of a good complete set up for headers or some for a really good price please send me in the right direction. Thanks alot!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube headers?

Yes, you need a new midpipe with longtubes. The stock midpipe is not compatible.

Most header makers have a kit you can get that has the headers, midpipe, and all the hardware.

The best brands are Kooks, Dynatech, and American Racing.

Do a forum search if you need more info
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

ok i looked at the kits, im looking around 1200-1400 for everything i need to install the lt headers, does this sound about right? Thanks for the reply :-)
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

Well as you can see most on here will recommend the Kooks, Dynatech, or ARH...I however went with SLP longtubes and off-roadx-pipeand it's the same grade and size as the previsously mentioned brands and I was very happy with the fit and great sound and performance I gained....only thing I didn't like about the SLP's was that they don't offer a off-road mid-pipe and I do believe the other brands do have one. I would definitly spend the extra $$$ and get long-tubes, unless that is ifyou plan on doing a turbo in the future the short tubes are factory length. The SLP's also came with all of the hardware, from bolts to 02 sensors. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with but I would definitly do the longtubes!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I currently have slp loudmouth axel backs on there now, so going with slp would most likely be my preference. You said they do not make a mid pipe to connect to, what kind did you use to fit? Also i seem to be having a problem finding the slp headers and all the hook ups. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

sorry for the confusion i meant to say they don't offer a off road h-pipe!!! but yeah i really liked slp and with the loudmouths on there i sounded like a damn nascar and i ended up putting the stock mufflers back on and it sounds great! yeah i got the o/r x-pipe and i would definitly recommend a tune or dyno-tune with the headers
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Ok i found the slp lt headers for $800 and the x pipe for $370....does this sound about right? Also this is the only slp x-pipe i can find, it says it complitments the stock headers and slp axle backs great, is this the one i need for the LT headers or am i missing somthing?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

the SLP pipe bolts to their headers. you just don't use the front half that would otherwise bolt to your factory manifolds.

Hooker,Hedmann,Granatelli, and BBK have long tubes that are cheap and you can find cheap mid-pipes. the quality isn't the same, but if your on a tight budget you could have lt's and the midpipe for under $800. they wont last near as long or look as pretty, but performance wise they'll do just as well.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

hmm, thanks for the info. Now if say i find a set of hooker headers for a good price, can i get any o/r h-pipe or does it have to be a certain kind? I know brenspeed sells a pypes o/r h-pipe for about 160 bucks, will this work with any LT's?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Hooker actually has their own h-pipe for their headers. I wanna say it was Jegs that I saw them at. I know it's really cheap. if you just want the horsepower i'd say it's the way to go. if you want fancy ceramic coating and headers that will last forever it's definately not the one lol

Quick Reply: Long tube headers?