Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube headers?

when you say last forever and whatnot... are you meaning due to rust? I live in FL and dont really have any problems with that.... Also compared to stock headers would hookers be same quality wise? Obvously more HP but when it comes to lasting and such. Sorry for sounding newbie lol im 19 and this is my first "real" car. (when i say real i mean v-8) Therefore all i really know about this type of stuff is from what this forum tells me, lol.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Kooks, and ARH are the only headers I would personally recommend. Though other companies offer some okay Headers and Mid Pipes, they just arent amazing quality like Kooks and ARH. Go to m o d u l a r fords.com and do some searching, that will help you out a lot. I'm getting a pretty good deal at about 1,500 installed for the Kooks set up. I'm just trying to pull the money out and go for it, it's just soooo expensive. As it's a lot of money. If your gonna get some LT's and a Mid Pipe, dont go cheap, go ahead and pay the extra couple of hundred for a nice good set up. Check out brenspeed.com, lmperformance.com, dagostinoracing.com, or Dynojoe.com. They are all great vendors, and are great at what they do. Try out Joe at Dyno Joe, go talk to him and see what he says about a set up. Tell him the "Dallas" guy sent you. He'll take care of you man.

- Justin
Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

because they are less expensive the tubing will be thinner, meaning holes will happen earlier and they willrust after a while if you get the painted ones. they'll be fine for probably longer than you own the car , or until it's time for a motor change and you can upgrade then. they're not bad, and we all ran that exact style on our "old" cars before ceramic coating and such became so popular. they're just plain and simple. nothing fancy about them. in my opinion for the price if you just want functionality and aren't looking for a show piece they're fine. I think the BBK's are chrome plated if you want flash and their only like $400.

basicly in my opinion if your'e not popping the hood at car shows and you don't expect to have them last more than 6 or 8 years (prob longer)they're a great deal. If you want flash and ultimate durability - you need to spend $800 on headers.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Thanks all of you for your advice. I have a CAI and tune on its wait in the mail, other then that my only mods are a shortshifter and axle backs (if u consider them a "mod"), so im just basically looking for some more power. $800 is my limit out the door really, any suggestions other than headers to free up some more ponies? Throttle body maybe? Again you all are very helpful, thanks :-)
Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

now you changed all the rules lol. Start over lol. With $800 I would say get yourself some pullies and4.10 gears.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

If you're already at an $800 budget and really want LTs, save a little more and get quality ones. You're key here is T-304 stainless steel vs 409. The 304 will not rust, hence will last a lot longer. Not sure about the SLPs, but the ARH, Kooks, Dynatechs are all T-304.

That being said, if you're looking for some immediate SOTP umph in power, I have to agree with RodeoFlyer, get some UDPs and 4:10s. You'll feel the difference immediately.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

You don't need gears to be fast. I'm running stock 3.55's and in the 12's already on street tires.
If you are going to do LT's you need to do the CMCV Delete plates as well, if you remove the restrictions on the exhaust side with the headers then you need to get rid of the CMCV's so that you can get the max gains.

UDP's you can do at any time for under $200.

Save up some extra cash and get yourself some American Racing Headers LT's with an offroad X pipe (as you are in FL as well) since we don't have to worry about inspections. No matter what people say about other brands like SLP & JBA, they just don't compare to the design and build quality. Kooks are nice as well but they are a mid length, I would not waste my money unless its all I could afford