Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Stickman81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wax

Very interesting so far.

The products boil down to an opinion.
What one person likes to use and how it responds.

I have tried a few polishes, waxes, sealants and glazes.
I know what I like to use however it will not prevent me from trying something else.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

There's only so much shine you can get out of a car. If done right it will look it's shiniest. It has more to do with taking the proper steps than what product is used. I can see my face and even my eyes just fine in my paint and i didn't use overly expensive products to do it. Nor did i apply it 10 - 20 times.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

shockme, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm sure someone with a great deal of experience could make a car look a lot better with the exact some products than someone with little or no experience. No offense, but I'm sure I could do a better job than a 16 year old who's waxing his car for the first time. It's experience, trial and error, and preference. I tend not to push products on other people, because they may not like them or be able to use them properly. It saves me a lot of hassle in the end. But I do know that some of the big manufacturers make good stuff: Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle 1, Turtle Wax, even Armor-All. These companies have been in business for many years for a reason...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

+1 on Megs
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I am of the mind set of giving it a good wash in the spring then doing a round of claybar washing it again then a coat of wax and finishing with a polish then all I need to do is keep it washed and it looks great all season and this is a year round daily driver car in MN so it gets some abuse but twice as much love.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone

I am of the mind set of giving it a good wash in the spring then doing a round of claybar washing it again then a coat of wax and finishing with a polish then all I need to do is keep it washed and it looks great all season and this is a year round daily driver car in MN so it gets some abuse but twice as much love.
The polishing step needs to be done PRIOR to WAX

Richard
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

+1 Waxing is the last step to seal in all the hard prep work you did.

Also our cars are brand new. It doesn't take a lot of work to make them shiney. If your car sits outside all the time like mine and you haven't taken proper care of it then 5 years from now you'll be working harder to get that same shine you once had. Then again, 5 years from now i'm sure we'll be trading ours in for the next generation of mustang!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone

Love your black beauty by the way!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

While I've always taken care of my paint.. this is my first black car. Recently, I have been using Optimum's no rinse wash, and their spray on wax (serious stuff)... and in-between using Meguire's spray detail...and occasionally the wax.. although I don't think the wax lasts as long as it should.

Basically what I do is.. if it rains.. I wash quickly with the no rise wash in my garage when i have the time (one gallon of water, to cap fulls.. and a MF towel).. .. and then go over it with the spray detailer and a MF towel.
I found some great MF towels at Sam's Club.. bought 200.
On nicer days, I will go over it with the wax. I plan on using the claybar once a year, with spending a day liberally applying a glaze.. then sealing it with a good wax.

Sounds like a lot of trouble.. but I bought black for a reason.. I really enjoy keeping it clean.. some people make their cars faster.. I like keeping it like new.

There's nothing more beautiful than a polished black Mustang..
Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

I'm not really "Qualified" to respond, as my car has seen rain twice, and has less than 1500 mi, in 7 mos. But, (since this is a post that belongs in detailing,) I guess I can add my 2 cents.
#1 2 buckets to wash with--- 1 with sudsy warm(Car Wash Grade soap) the other to "rinse" your washing sponge.
#2 Always rinse with clear water from hose or other source
#3 Buy / borrow a leaf blower, try to NEVER put a chamious or towel in drying your car.
#4 Follow the above steps, and FOLLOW with THE PREFERRED WAX of your choice. THEY all do a GREAT / GOOD Job, SObuy,.......... WHAT you are comfortable with, and believe in.[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=closed.gif]

THAT'S IT