Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Stroreage Outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Triple T
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Stroreage Outside

I may have to store my GT outside in my paved driveway through the winter here in the northeast (if it ever comes). Apart from the normal precautions of covering exhaust/intake, turning off with AC on, stabiler in full tank, up tire air pressure, cover wind shield prevent sun damage.... is there anything else I should be doing storing it outside in the winter?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Winter Stroreage Outside

you could spring for a good car cover, and cover the car after detailing it. You could offload the tires by jacking it up and blocking it (under the suspension, not the "frame." Youc oduls also cover the tires to help protect them. You could put a battery minder on the battery, to keep it charged....or take the battery out. It will be dead as a doornail after a month anyway; maybe you'll get more time out of the battery if you turn your asoundsytem off before shutting the car down.

Of course you would need a "marine" or all weather battery minder and power cord.....

Is any of this :needed? no. But you asked for some suggestions....

Your only talking about a few months anyway.....by late March, "winter" will be over in the northeast....if, as you pointed out, it ever gets here. Meanwhile, off to wash the car in the seventy degrees.....
Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

I'd look for a 3month deal at one of those self storage places, or at least a GOOD car cover. Fuel stabilze, no need to up your tire pressure.
From your comments, it sounds more like you will be parking the car in your driveway, not, really storing it, if that's the case ........... do nothing, and drive it when weather permits.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree that drving it when you can would probably be best. There should be many days that you will be able to take it out.

If not the renting a storage locker is pretty cheap and it will protect the car best. Its about 30 a month so maybe 90 total.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Good advice. I live in Michigan and do not drive in bad weather. But I am not storing my Mustang. I will drive it all winter long as long as the roads are dry. You can do the same even though your car is outside. A weatherproof car cover is a must. Don't get the cheapest one out there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention It is garaged.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Triple T

Apart from the normal precautions of covering exhaust/intake, turning off with AC on, stabiler in full tank, up tire air pressure, cover wind shield prevent sun damage....
Turning off with AC on? Why? Is there a reason to do that?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:15 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

never use car cover out sidewhen snow melts and turns to ice and wind blows the ice will
rub on the paint. trust me its not good
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

TripleT I'm in New York and the temperature outside is a balmy 63 degrees right now... I dont think you will have a problem and I dont see winter ever coming!! Good ole global warming lol
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangoil

never use car cover out sidewhen snow melts and turns to ice and wind blows the ice will
rub on the paint. trust me its not good
I stored my mint '89 ragtop under a NOAH car cover for years with snow and ice and what have you. Cover went on only after car was cleaned. Once it snowed the car would sit covered with the snow and the ice for weeks. Never a rubmark, chafemark, or scratch. Ice slowly melts away.I've got NOAH covers far all of my cars except the new GT since I now have access to another garage. But, I would get a NOAH for it in a heartbeat if I couldn't garage it.

My disclaimer is that the driveway is somewhat protect by trees so there is never much wind hitting the cover. If I lived at the shore or somewhere where the car and cover was always sitting in the breeze then I might have a different recommendation.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I agree that drving it when you can would probably be best. There should be many days that you will be able to take it out.

If not the renting a storage locker is pretty cheap and it will protect the car best. Its about 30 a month so maybe 90 total.
$30 a month? I pay $120 a month to store mine, but I save money on the insurance for those few months.

Just make sure to run it every once and a while and let it get up to running temp. Driving it might be an option if there's now salt on the roads. I've done this several times with mine since we have seen no snow in NW Indiana yet either

Quick Reply: Winter Stroreage Outside