Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parnelli Jones

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Default Parnelli Jones

Ok, so I'm bored last night, I hop in the Mustang and go for a drive. I drive up to one of the dealerships in Raleigh because they have a GT500 sitting out on the lot. I just wanted to sheck out one up close and personal. Well I get there and there is a retired police pfficer working security at the dealership. So we talk for a few and go inside the dealership. They have a black GT500 outside on the lot, a red GT500 on the pedestal at the front door, and a white GT500 convertable inside as well.....to get to the point, they also have a Parnelli Jones Saleen in there as well. If you have not seen one in person, It is BAD A$$!!! So was the sticker! $60,000! It was very impressive in person! It was grabber orange with the BOSS 302 markings in the side! It was locked so I couldnt sit in it but I am very impressed!

Sidenote: They had a$25,000 markup on all 3 Shelbys. for a total of roughly $67,000. So I pretty much wont be driving a Shelby OR Saleen anytime soon! This particular dealership also has a TON of mustangs V6 and Gt. There are also 2 Roush Mustangs on the lot, Vista Blue and Tungsten Grey.

Just mythoughts.

Have a great day,
Joel
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Parnelli Jones

The markup shold be against the law. Should only have to pay sticker! Anyway shi$ happens I guess....or money talks and bull*&^% walks.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

The markup shold be against the law. Should only have to pay sticker! Anyway shi$ happens I guess....or money talks and bull*&^% walks.
Agreed.....but I guess as long as there are people paying the marked up price, they are gonna keep selling them at that price.....
Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

I went to the auto show in 05 I think , when the GT was about to come out. They were taking orders for the GT at the show for $80,000. That’s what the sticker was.
The problem with dealer markups is that the dealers have to buy the cars, the cars are there’s not Fords. (Granted, not all dealers are the same) If you own something and people are willing to pay a bunch for it, (tickle me Elmo) It’s yours, you can sell it for what you want.
It is really to bad that Ford can't do something about it though.
Ford is missing a pretty big market , if they would introduce a full line of easy to work on vehicles and a full line of parts to improve the performance.
A base of a Mustang GT would be a good start, then offer a Bullit with a GT engine, A Boss with a GT engine, A Mach 1 with a GT engine and a Cobra with a GT engine. Over the counter install pkg for each at 50 HP 100 HP 150 HP increase. Thing is, you install it. I’m not a big believer in buying a race car. You should have the right and the availability of parts but you shouldn't be able to buy a race car from the factory. (just an opinion) . I see the Viper is going to have 600 HP, That’s nice, but all it takes is $80,000 and some dumb person can drive the highways at 200mph.. Lets face it, if you build it, there’s a experience that you don't getwhen you just buy it.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

$60,000 may sound like alot for the Saleen PJ edition to you but if you come out here to Cal I seen one go at the dealer for 85,000 -- then the next day the rolled another one out... same color and everything and that was sold in like 4 days... must be nice is all that I can say I use to live in Charlotte and the dealships out that way tend to be bigger then the ones out here in Carlsbad. They sure do have a wide range of cars at your dealerdhip... only GT, V6, 1roush (maybe), and a PJ that wont last a week
Old 01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Bruce0146
1st Gear Member

I have the new PJ and yes $60K is a bit much to pay for a Mustang but to have 1 of 500 and to be able to sit in it and be transformed back to the American Muscle Cars of old is a feeling that is worth every penny.
I did not pay not one cent over the original negotiated price of a little under $60K for it. I walked away from buying a Shelby because of the dealers wanting $15-20K over sticker for them. They are truely not worth it.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:09 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Yea $60K for a PJ is an OK price to pay and I would if I had the coin to do it right now but I am kinda saving it for the new Boss. As for the markup on the GT500 I did not realize there were still dealers putting huge markups on them. The dealer I bought my car from and the 4 others around me are selling them all at MSRP now.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Bruce0146
1st Gear Member

My info go back to last summer but I would be very surprised if things have changed that dramatically around here. Anyway, I am perfectly happy with my PJ, its like driving a blast from the past..
Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

i guess its a smart business move on their part, but really, if they gave some of that money back to ford, maybe they could make better cars and start getting a reputation back together.

when it was first launched the mustang was a hit because it was a sporty LOOKING car that was affordable and could seat 4 people. it was the first in its class. but now we have so many cars like that, that are super fuel efficient and safe. reading up on the history of old cars it seems like the old cars had so many more options compared to the new ones.

there were so many things to choose from that every car on the road was one in its own. its too bad that auto producers got lazy, otherwise everyone could have their own unique ride, but i guess thats what modding is for.

anyways, my uncle has one of the new shelbys. we know the dealer, and they wouldnt sell it at first. my uncle bugged them for 6 months and the owner(who has a ford GT as well) decided to sell it for some reason. so my uncle apparently got a really good deal (the dealer said he could make money off it if he sold it) and has a dark gray with silver stripes on it. i hope i can talk them down for an 05... the reason he likes it is because he can drive the crap out of it and guess what, its still under warranty! hes waiting for fatter tires because it spins pretty easily, but he loves it and drives it every day it doesnt rain, and we've had a really good winter (no snow) this year so i get plenty of rides.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, I didnt really mean to start another thread about ford's Markups....really just wanted to share my feelings about IMO haw bad *** the Shelby and PJ are...Im gonna go over there again tonight and see if the guy will let me get a couple of pics. If yall want to see more of them...They are all beautiful machines IMO and i love looking at them. Im gonna see if the guy will swipe the keys and let me sit in the PJ. The Shelby was unlocked so I sat in it....Nice...

Anyway, may post some pics later!
Joel