Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cable throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cable throttle body?

To keep kids from killing themselves. Same reason they put traction control on these cars and made it come back on each time you start the car.

ORIGINAL: my77stang

get a tuner and have your tune writer put your ECU into "pedal follower" mode. This disables the "smart" feature of the drive-by-wire setup and instead operates the throttle body blades as if they were directly coupled to the pedal.
i guess my big question of the day is WHY wouldnt they come like this from the factory? i really, really, really dont get it? is there a valid reason that im just missing here?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

The only place I found any mention of a pedal follower mode was here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...DSM500_HEV.pdf

A short excerpt:

[align=left]RPM Guard w/ Pedal Follower [/align]

In this mode, torque control is disabled due to the loss of a critical sensor or PCM fault. The throttle is controlled in pedal-follower mode as a function of the pedal position sensor input only. A maximum allowed RPM is determined based on pedal position (RPM Guard.) If the actual RPM exceeds this limit, spark and fuel are used to bring the RPM below the limit. The ETC light and the MIL are turned on in this mode and a P2106 is set. EGR, VCT, and IMRC outputs are set to default values.

Is the "pedal follower mode" you guys are talking about different that what is discussed above? Apparently it is a "limp home mode" but it also cuts off control of the egr system, charge motion plates, and variable cam timing. Seems like a bad idea if this is the case.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That doesn't sound like what I have heard about.

Supposedly there is a setting that can be activated with a custom tune that disables most of the drive-by-wire settings and instead makes the drive-by-wire system mimic a traditional (cable) throttle.

I have no firsthand experience with it, however if you want the best information I suggest you contact a good tuner and ask them about it. They can probably set you straight.