Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp toggle switch -- location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Amp toggle switch -- location?

Guys,

I am planning on adding a pair of subwoofers I've got laying around from my last car. For the short term I am planning on using the stock skipper 500 and using a line converter on the rear speakers to get a single for my amp. I just found out by searching the forums that this radio doesn't have a remote wire setup. Even before I knew about this, I wanted to set the remote wire up on a toggle switch, which would allow me to enable or disable the amp/subs on the fly. The reason for this is because I would like to be able to have the option of listening without all the bass. I also like the idea that I could then turn the amp completely off when I was driving around without the radio on, as I generally do (cuz I love to hear the exhaust heh).

I was thinking about installing a switch like this.
If possible, I'd like to tastefully mount this switch somewhere on the dash. Any ideas on a good location? Also, any additional switch-type suggestions are welcome, too.

If it comes down to not having a good location, I may just not get a lit one and hide it somewhere, but like I said, if possible I'd like to install it somewhere visible.

Oh, and I wanted to ask where the best place to run the amp power wire through the firewall is. Currently I've been holding off on this whole project because I have the dreaded passenger side water leak, but hopefully sometime soon that will be fixed. Just didn't want to give them any excuse to turn me away...

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:14 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Amp toggle switch -- location?

If you dont have heated seats, you can use the space where those two switches would be.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22630/72F1ECE78B574F4E9E119AD7B177CC57.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TinPony

If you dont have heated seats, you can use the space where those two switches would be.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22630/72F1ECE78B574F4E9E119AD7B177CC57.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, wow, don't I feel like a moron. How could I have missed these places? [&:] I definitely don't have heated seats, so this seems like a good place! Thanks for the pic, too!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Riggs007
2nd Gear Member

there is a hole in the firewall with a rubber gromet, on the passenager side under the dash. If you take out the battery, you can feed the power wire through there right up next to the battery.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info, Riggs! I know exactly where this is, but I think I may wait until I am SURE that the leak problem is fixed :-\

So, the idea of using the area where the heated seats switches should be, I was wondering if it's going to be possible at all for me to find a push-button switch that looks likes like the ones current there? (recirc, rear defrost) Ideally, it would be awesome to have a push button that looked like it was meant to be there, instead of having a weird switch in the middle of all the others.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

i don't know where you'd find a switch like that, but would definately be interested if someone else knew. If the factory switches are simple on/of and not a mometary contact type, that would be an option (although who knows how much a single switch would cost or if it's even available from the dealer, you may have to buy the whole switch cluster) I considered putting the switch for my amp in the overhead panel where the map lights are. I don't have the alarm, so there is some extra room up there.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riggs007

there is a hole in the firewall with a rubber gromet, on the passenager side under the dash. If you take out the battery, you can feed the power wire through there right up next to the battery.
really?
i got some sort of cabin air filter in there that i just cant get any wire past. I didnt even know there was supposed to be a filter there.
we talkin about the same hole?
this is right behind the battery
Old 01-15-2007, 01:54 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I didn't even know these cars had a cabin filter. I've never looked under there to see, but just kinda assumed they didn't since the salesman that sold me the car said he thought they didn't. He brought it up when he was telling me all the stuff they replaced/checked during service visits (all that stuff to make you spend even more money at the dealership)