Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cam and springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new cam and springs

eeeek. 20-30hp for 2000 bucks!!!I have netted that muchon a big block by changing the air filter and plugs.

I bet it sounds great though. I wish the cams were cheaper. Then if I had a free weekend it might be worth it.

Doing it yourself the price sounds pretty good for the gains, paying someone for the labor it gets a bit steep.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

+1 on that!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

will the stage II cams work with stock springs? if so what kinda gains are expected with a CAI and axleback flows?

not having to change the springs would make for a much easier install and would cost less to buy.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

With parts and labor your looking at 2 grand minimum for the cams. Think about it, 2 grand for 35-40hp. You guys are nuts!!.....or you have huge wallets.....maybe both. LOL
Just get a blower or hairdryer and be done with it.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RED121572

With parts and labor your looking at 2 grand minimum for the cams. Think about it, 2 grand for 35-40hp. You guys are nuts!!.....or you have huge wallets.....maybe both. LOL
Just get a blower or hairdryer and be done with it.

+1. I'l save until I can get my S/C.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

please, can someone tell me if theres a cam available that doesnt require different springs? i would think decent gains are still possible by increasing duration alot and lift a little.

this would make for a much cheaper package and easier install
Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang
please, can someone tell me if theres a cam available that doesnt require different springs? i would think decent gains are still possible by increasing duration alot and lift a little.

this would make for a much cheaper package and easier install
I don't know of any. But even if they did exist it wouldn't affect the price much. The springs/retainers are only about $150 out of the cost of the cam/spring package. And labor-wise, you still have to pulloff the valve springs when you change the cams, so the effect on the labor would be trivial.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Fortunately, I could do my install without putting up a grand or more for labor. Otherwise I would have had serious second thoughts. As for the Comp grinds, all of them require the beehive spring and retainer set. I don't know if any other manufacturer claims springs are not needed. The cams are actually VERY easy to change and do not require the removal of the springs, only the rockers, but removing them does require the use of thespecial 3 valve spring tool. Labor for the cams only would be significantly less. We just finished a stage 3 install today for a gentleman that uses his 2005 for road racing in the "American Iron" series. Not a street legal car, full race trim.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

And labor-wise, you still have to pulloff the valve springs when you change the cams, so the effect on the labor would be trivial.
yeah, cams sit on top of the rockers, which are on top of the springs - so cams w/o spring changes would be easy. has anyone had these heads off and been able to measure how much lift these can take before coil bind? anyhow, we had a tool for installing keepers on heads where the springs were recessed, you just placed the two keepers in the retainer and pushed down.... they slide past the groove on the valve stem and when you release pressure they pop into place.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Fortunately, I could do my install without putting up a grand or more for labor. Otherwise I would have had serious second thoughts. As for the Comp grinds, all of them require the beehive spring and retainer set. I don't know if any other manufacturer claims springs are not needed. The cams are actually VERY easy to change and do not require the removal of the springs, only the rockers, but removing them does require the use of thespecial 3 valve spring tool. Labor for the cams only would be significantly less. We just finished a stage 3 install today for a gentleman that uses his 2005 for road racing in the "American Iron" series. Not a street legal car, full race trim.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was under the impression that everything had to be removed prior to changing the cams. What did you do? just compress each spring enough to pull out the rocker, then once all the rockers are out, remove the cam?

Quick Reply: new cam and springs