Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodged a BULLET v. CHP out for blood

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dodged a BULLET v. CHP out for blood

Simon1 - I think that when Sleeper said that he wasn't doing anything that he was referring to speeding. Getting cited for tint sucks & is pretty d@m minor if ya ask me
Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

You can't get your car impounded for having a modified exhasut.

Sleeper05, you did do something wrong by having tint on your car and the third brake light and no license plate. Doesn't mean your a bad guy or driverbut it's the CHP's job do what he did. He did have a reason to pull you over.

If any of you guys had to walk up to a car with blacked out, or 20%, you would feel the same about tint on cars.

Most cops don't care about exhaust, but they all have their pet peaves.
I know people that have had their cars impounded for not being street legal. A combination of "concious modification of exhaust that voids SMOG compliance and significant increase of dB level" added to being lowered excessively enough to not be street legal CAN get that done (again, it has happened). It has to do with the car being so excessively modified in an illegal manner that the officer deems it not streetable enough to drive until corrected enough to be safe and emmisions compliant. I have no idea what the wording of any laws about it are, but again, I know people who it has happened to (cars and bikes), but nowhere except back home (Sacramento).

I know that my car was not technically in a legal condition to drive on the road, but my comment was directed at not *doing* anything to provoke getting pulled over. I was driving in a safe, reserved, cautious fashion, and obeying all traffic laws at the time. Also, with other cars around me actually breaking the law by speeding, it was out of line IN MY OPINION, for the officer to target me specifically for something like tint. I understand his duty as an officer, but I saw other cars with tint between getting on the freeway and being pulled over, and I saw other cars speeding.

I *did* nothing wrong today, but my car *was already* in a state of wrong, and I totally understand that, and did understand that when I got those modifications done. I clearly commented on feeling fortuneate about the degree of infraction I was written for, but that I felt it unnecessary nonetheless.

I would also like to point out that nowhere did I say or even suggest that the cop was a jerk, or promote an opinion of disliking cops. I love cops and everything they do for upstanding citizens (as I am). I just feel that CHP often has nothing better to do than nitpick at particulars that do not pose a risk to themselves, myself, or others. For the record, this officer was VERY straight forward and kind. He did not say or do anything to offend me or make me uncomfortable or angry, but it just kind of sucks to have to go through the ordeal.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

Oh yes, texas is a lot more relaxed on exhuast. *NOT*

I've gotten pulled over before because my exhaust was to loud, and im stock.[:@]
the same night i put in the new axlebacks, a cop pulled up behind me at a red light. i swear that was the longest light of my life it seemed atleast 8 minutes. well i just made sure to accelerate slowly and the cop turned right so i was happy
Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Her's what sucks - all those violations are gonna cost you a lot more than a speeding ticket would have. my roomate is a CHiPy. The no front plate violation isn't just a fix-it ticket anymore. it carries a big fine as well. They are big time a-holes about it now. The Sgt. at his station cited all of THEIR cars for no front plates and tinted windows, to prove that it applies to everybody. Tey aren't f'n around anymore. I personally don't have tinted windows for racing reasons, but I would suggest the guys that do install a "kill switch" for your windows. When you get pulled over put the windows down and when asked to lower them - uh-oh officer they don't work. The vehicle code does not require you to have side windows. if they can't prove it too bad for them.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

you guys know that cops have to give a certain amount of tickets in a certain period of time, this guy was probably slacking off, and he needed to catch up.[&:]
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

The thing that confuses me is why they pull over cars if the exhaust is a little loud but almost every motorcycle is louder than the loudest car and there are many loud trucks too. -Joe
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

because chances are the exhaust on the car is only the first of several violations the officer is likely to find.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:59 AM
foot

Remember when cops use to drive Mustangs? I thinkhe's jealous of you, but still admires the exhaust, or he misses his old Mustang cop car and just wanted to hear it again.

Click to see Video">
Click to see Video
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Her's what sucks - all those violations are gonna cost you a lot more than a speeding ticket would have. my roomate is a CHiPy. The no front plate violation isn't just a fix-it ticket anymore. it carries a big fine as well. They are big time a-holes about it now. The Sgt. at his station cited all of THEIR cars for no front plates and tinted windows, to prove that it applies to everybody. Tey aren't f'n around anymore. I personally don't have tinted windows for racing reasons, but I would suggest the guys that do install a "kill switch" for your windows. When you get pulled over put the windows down and when asked to lower them - uh-oh officer they don't work. The vehicle code does not require you to have side windows. if they can't prove it too bad for them.
I haven't hear of this new law...??? On my ticket, the front plate is the only explicitly "correctable" offense, and I highly doubt it carries a big fine. If it is so, then I will simply show documentation of the bumper being brand new, and plead ignorance about knowing that I had to make the shop drill holes in it for the plate, and see how it goes.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

[&:]

Quick Reply: Dodged a BULLET v. CHP out for blood