Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rollover engine service steps

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
foot

Default rollover engine service steps

Maybe someone here knows how to get oil out of a catalytic converter? I have a 2006 GT that I bought rolled over. First I took out the spark plugs. Second I took off the intake tube so I could get a socket wrench on the crank and turn it over by hand. After some of the oil squirted out, I turned it over with the key, to squirt it out the plug holes with more force. That made a mess, but got the oil out. I put the plugs back in and it runs great!
But, the oil went into the exhaust manifold and down into the passenger side catayltic converter. Anybody know how to clean the oil out of the cat? Should I not run the engine until I clean it out somehow, or what?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rollover engine service steps

I guess take the cats off and drain them out? I don't really know.

Why did u buy this car? Parts or what? And how did someone roll a stang? I thinkI just asked you more questions then you initially asked..lol..good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 AM
foot

I bought it for $1800. I have a nice v6 mustang I bought for $4800 that needed a roof skin and a door shell and one fender. I'm going to put all the GT guts in the V6 car and maybe keep it stealth looking, at least for a while.

The guy who rolled it was from Corona, CA, I think he hit a rock or tree and then that flipped it over.

I will takethe catsoff and let them drain overnight, I may try pressure washing them, but I don't know if the ceramic honeycomb can take it.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

No dont add any water, those cats are ruined because the ceramic absorbed the oil (it wont heat up properly and will probably throw a check engine light).... plus there is about 3 layers of the heavy wire inside and it will start to rust.... IMO buy some new hi-flow catalyic converters... if you can get that pony to showroom quality, I will be very impressed...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
foot

They are ruined. No water. Got it. Thanks for the advice. I guess when one of these cars is on its roof the cats are junk afterwards, from all the oil that gets in there.

Well now I can get some high flow cats. That should make a few more horses.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skoshi42

No dont add any water, those cats are ruined because the ceramic absorbed the oil (it wont heat up properly and will probably throw a check engine light).... plus there is about 3 layers of the heavy wire inside and it will start to rust.... IMO buy some new hi-flow catalyic converters... if you can get that pony to showroom quality, I will be very impressed...
+1. Once they get oiled, they are most likely toast.