Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary handling past 75+ on freeway corners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
matts250x

Default Scary handling past 75+ on freeway corners

When I take medium sweeping corners on the freewayfast the back end sways bad and I have to slow down, my GT has the standard wheels/tires and suspension. Do I need a better antisway bar or a rear shocktower brace? I dont want to lower it so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Scary handling past 75+ on freeway corners

if you dont want to lower, dont go 75 around corners, all springs that will aid in your quest will lower the car, then a larger rear sway will help, also needed would be an adjustable panhard bar, as well as adjustable shocks/struts, thats just for starters, you can do better in the corners with out all this by learning how to drive, setting the car for the corner, drive the car, dont let the car drive through, if you set properly the car will follow the path you set it on. Take a driving school that specializes in open track and road racing.

(Disclaimer)

I do not condone this, if you kill yourself, your car or other ppl, im am not liable nor do I care, just simple natural selection.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

if you dont want to lower, dont go 75 around corners, all springs that will aid in your quest will lower the car, then a larger rear sway will help, also needed would be an adjustable panhard bar, as well as adjustable shocks/struts, thats just for starters, you can do better in the corners with out all this by learning how to drive, setting the car for the corner, drive the car, dont let the car drive through, if you set properly the car will follow the path you set it on. Take a driving school that specializes in open track and road racing.

(Disclaimer)

I do not condone this, if you kill yourself, your car or other ppl, im am not liable nor do I care, just simple natural selection.
Ditto. If you are already into a corner at 75, then slowing down, you didn't enter the corner correctly in the first place, i.e.
[ol][*]The corner is too sharp for 75 and you should have braked/downshifted before entering.[*]You didn't enter at the correct angle and/or didn't accelerate through the apex.[/ol]
These cars don't handle like Porsches or Bimmers but they do handle pretty well and I've taken numerous corners at 75 and faster under complete control, where the conditions permit.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

dude ur going 75mph...its not a race car
Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I have to agree about these cars pushing through the curves at high speeds with stock suspension. I would get rather worried going through turns at 120mph (autobahn's) with the whole car getting kind of floaty. Once I upgraged my suspension, all those problems went away. I can run 130mph+ through the same turns and the car is planted solid on the ground. Good tires are important as well...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jerseyfury2

LOL...I'm really going to hate going back to speed limit land...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

hahahaha
ORIGINAL: scramblr

ORIGINAL: Jerseyfury2

LOL...I'm really going to hate going back to speed limit land...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

These S197 mustangs handle much better stock for stock than the last generation. I would agree on the driving lessons, learning proper turn in angles and driving the car and not reacting to it trying to drive you pay huge dividends (like maybe preventing an accident). Good driving technique makes these cars shine even in stock form (235 pirelli tires included). I had no trouble out cornering awd audis and wrxs in the intermediate class at the last road racing event I was at.

I don't know what you call a medium corner so maybe going 75 is easy or maybe it is idiotic.

Here's a little tip, provided you entered the corner at the correct angle, keep smoothly accelerating through the turn and if the back end feels like it is getting a touch light, ease on the power. Accelerating will shift the weight more towards the rear which will give the rear tires more bite especially the rear tire on the side you are turning into (ie. the left rear when making a left turn). This should prevent the rear from stepping out. But be careful, if you are not and you slam the gas or even jab at the gas then I hope your airbags work because you just did some really stupid and induced oversteer when you didn't need to.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

When in doubt, punch it out.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

When in doubt, punch it out.
Hmmm...Words "not" to live by at high speeds.

Quick Reply: Scary handling past 75+ on freeway corners