Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCA bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
DokterD

Default LCA bushings

Is it possible to replace the crap bushings in the stock LCAs to eliminate hop or is more cost effective to replace the whole arm (bushing not interchangeable)? I don't expect to go to the track more than a few times and I'm not too squirrelly on the street so I don't need to do anything but stop the hop.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LCA bushings

ORIGINAL: DokterD

Is it possible to replace the crap bushings in the stock LCAs to eliminate hop or is more cost effective to replace the whole arm (bushing not interchangeable)? I don't expect to go to the track more than a few times and I'm not too squirrelly on the street so I don't need to do anything but stop the hop.
I don't know of any one that makes replacement bushings... but don't forget the stock arm is also just a fairly flimsy stamped piece:

I know it's more expensive... but I would just replace the whole thing... a decscent set of non-adjustable LCAa are pretty reasonable...
Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Well if you plan on doing mods to the car, go ahead and get some tubular LCA's that you can adjust. It will even save you a couple of LBS. I would actually say to get an adjustable UCA with a energy suspension pusing for the diff and you will be much happier as that is probably where it will bind the most
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Agreed, changing the bushing isn't going to help much because the stock LCAs are very flimsy and will flex under torque. A tubular LCA will not flex. The other option are the billet LCAs like the ones from Steeda and Motoblue.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Agreed, changing the bushing isn't going to help much because the stock LCAs are very flimsy and will flex under torque. A tubular LCA will not flex. The other option are the billet LCAs like the ones from Steeda and Motoblue.
I just installed some new LCA... they are "offset"... I really like them... my other aftermarket LCA appear to have been binding...

Old 01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

any control arm with poly bushings at both ends is going to bind. the best way to go is a poly/rod end combo. i haven't seen those withthe offset before - not sure what the offset will do. who makes them?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Those LCAs are offset becasue the mounting brackets on the axle tube are wider apart than the mounting points on the body. Rod-end LCAs simply sit at a slight angle, and there's no need for the offset. However, LCAs with bushings on each end need to be designed with an offset or a small angle, otherwise they bind.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:01 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

that's why your the man!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Those LCAs are offset becasue the mounting brackets on the axle tube are wider apart than the mounting points on the body. Rod-end LCAs simply sit at a slight angle, and there's no need for the offset. However, LCAs with bushings on each end need to be designed with an offset or a small angle, otherwise they bind.
Yep... You can see the angle on the bushing end of my previous LCA... After installing the new offset LCAs I'm sure the old ones were in fact binding!

To answer the other question, I got them from MRT...