Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default Parking Brake problems...

Hi, my mom has an '05 5speed GT. since it is winter (despite the lack of snow...) the car is not driven all to much. However, my mom has taken the car out every day this week and she has been having horrible problems with her parking brake. She will disengage it, only it does not fully unlock the rear brakes. she tried driving it, only to find that it wont drive normally. It wont shift rightor accelerate normally. The lever in the car goes down, but whatseems to be happening is the cable wont fully relase the brake. could the cable be stretched? We have taken it to two different mechanics that we have been going to for 10 years. they are both stumped by the problem. we have yet to take it back to the Ford dealership, because it is modified with a Cervinis Eleanor bodyKit and we are afraid ford wont look at it due to that. other than that, the rear end, gears, suspension and brakes are stock. any help on getting it to disengage correctly would be a great help. does anyone else have this sort of problem?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Parking Brake problems...

Use the search there are many threads on the issue. There is a TSB on the issue also.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

the e-brake gets frozen even when you disengage it. you'll have to either wait for the weather to warm up for it to thaw, crawl under the car and heat it with a hairdryer, or not use the e-brake at all during freezing temps.

ford will most likely have to look at the car to fix it.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

My '06 locked up first really cold spell. Dealer replaced both rear brake cables under warranty.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ok, I'll have to check that out and relay the info to my mom...

thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty
The lever in the car goes down, but whatseems to be happening is the cable wont fully relase the brake.
Does the brake-light on your dashboard go out? And do you hear loud noise from the rear brake disc?

I had that problem on my 07 Mustang a few weeks ago, took the car back, it turned out a small stone stuck in the rotor. But yours is a 05, so it might be different.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

i had the same issue this morning, thankfully i was parked in reverse in my up hill driveway, so i pulled out off the driveway backwards, peeling alittle, and it got to 4000rpms and i backed out completely. Then i stopped, went back a few more feet and it released itself completely. The light was on the dashboard but it was still stuck, i read somewhere that back up works in unlockin it and it worked for me, i might've woke have the neighborhood at 7am with the roar of the exhaust but oh well, at least i got out
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Ford shouldn't turn you away due to a body kit, unless the body kit messed up your parking brake and i highly doubt that. If they are freezing up during the cold time, if you can leave it in second gear without the brake on and not on a hill, that will work, maybe put something behind the tire to help just incase it pops out of gear. Also if the Ebrake is due to the temps, you could throw some warm water on the rear calipers(both sides) and then immediately take the ebrake off and drive the car..
My Ebrake froze on mytruck after it rained and everything froze, i threw some hot water on it and it was fixed.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

mine did the same damn thing this morning. I had to call roadside assistance and the dealer fixed it when we got there. They already had the parts in stock !!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

TSB 06-5-4, you may already have found in search. Mine is at the dealer as for this right now...

Quick Reply: Parking Brake problems...