Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many have blown there a/t with a blower

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default How many have blown there a/t with a blower

Seems like there has been some talk about the a/t can't take the increase in h.p. from a blower. One person said his blew up after 5,000 miles and knew five others that did the same. Just like to know how many s/c a/t out there, your rwhp and your mileage without a problem. I want to get the Paxton from Brenspeed but don't want to blow my trans. up a year down the road. I'm not planning on spending every week- end at the track but I will race it a fewtimes.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How many have blown there a/t with a blower

I haven't heard of that happening, but it's certainly possible. Remember, the goal of Ford (or any manufacturer, for that reason) is to make a car as quickly and cheaply as possible. The components are not designed to handle 150 more horsepower than stock -- they didn't build them that way. They didn't put Kevlar bands in the transmission to handle 450 HP, whey all they need to worry about is handling 300 - 350 HP. They saved a couple of bucks that way.

This is what amazes me about guys who install superchargers without taking into account the bottom end of the motor, the trans, the rear diff., etc., etc: All the components are going to be under more strain than they were designed for, so you really have to take that into account when doing a buildup. Evey car I've done, I've always rebuilt everything to handle the power, and have not had any problems.

Every now and again, you hear some people say "oh, well, the stock 4.6 can take up to 450, no problem..." Fine, if they're willing to roll the dice, but they're the same one's who complain when they've put a hole in their block pushing the stock motor further than it was designed to. Same with the trans (although less likely).
Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 AM
panzermk2
1st Gear Member

[IMG][/IMG]
As a wrench for most of my life this always amazes me. Its a whole system! My 950HP 69 GTO used a stock AT! stock turbo400 HOUSING! that is. not a single part inside was stock and even the housing was modified. I also replaced the drive shaft and all Zoom dif gears and half shafts including "C" clip removel kit (old timers under stand that one).[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 01-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Silverghost

ORIGINAL: cfr865

Seems like there has been some talk about the a/t can't take the increase in h.p. from a blower. One person said his blew up after 5,000 miles and knew five others that did the same. Just like to know how many s/c a/t out there, your rwhp and your mileage without a problem. I want to get the Paxton from Brenspeed but don't want to blow my trans. up a year down the road. I'm not planning on spending every week- end at the track but I will race it a fewtimes.
The A/T is a good trans and can hold up to a lot of power. But at the same time you'll want to get a good TC. I'm on my third TC now and it justed started giving problems after two months being installed. The first one damaged my trans that it had to be rebuilt, but it's not stock now. I think you should worry more about your motor blowing up first. Do it right a rebuild the motor at the same time.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

I run my 2005 Mustang GT with a Saleen Supercharger, 3.6 pulley, 39# injectors, JDM tune and Steeda CAI...

Ithas an automatic transmission with a set of 3.73 gears and I had it dynoed at about 410-425 RWHP depending on whether I use the street or strip tune that JDM set up for me...

For an automatic, you lose HP just because it is an automatic... If it was a 5 SPD, I'd probably have about 440-460 RWHP...

For the streets of Chicago, that's pretty good... I feel that myRWHP is at "safe" level for the way the car is set up...

For the track, Icould use more HP, a3000 RPMTCand probably a good set of slicks...

My tranny is just fine but then again, I don't beat on it continuously either...

Dave
Old 01-21-2007, 10:47 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

This is what amazes me about guys who install superchargers without taking into account the bottom end of the motor, the trans, the rear diff., etc., etc: All the components are going to be under more strain than they were designed for
Agreed. I have just aboutmaxed-out the stock internals with the presents/c setup,but I needabout another 100 horse(working towards an ET goal). In the meantime, having much stronger and high-perf. rearend built by Currie to include gears, tru-trac,driveshaft etc. Then as other posts have mentioned, the transmission will need to be addressed. Then an engine build before more horses can be added.

It's really a testament to the stock engine that it can absorb an 80% increase in rwhp.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46156/016DA7A635934D1E8890D054BBF36EDC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

I agree to a point forensicsteve.... for now, the stock engine is absorbing 80% more HP. Sustaining that increase is what it will be all about. Time will tell as to how long the internals will hold, as well as the drive train.
80% HP increase without strengthening the "bottom" will eventually lead to engine failure. These engines were mass produced, not hand built, so the tolerances won't be as tight as needed to take on the extra power for any extended period. A 30%-40% increase or keeping at 375-415 HP seems to be the safer way to keep the engine together longer. Anything over that, and she could blow on the 1st launch, or run.JMO
Old 01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

You're right. A built engine is inevitable even without further hp increase and the sooner the safer. Doing things in a certain order from back of car to front. Still have traction issues and want to see what the 480 rwhp will yieldon the track with the right rearend setup, tires,and gearing to max 4th gear and boost. Slicks, 4.10s, and tru-trac should knock0.5 second off the 1/4. Car runs high 11s now.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes I read some of the posts from the "I can't believe he/she did that people" or the"I do not want to jepardize my warranty people"; andit's sickening. If you do not want to modify your vehicle - that is fine. However, you do not have to justify your reasoning every chance you get.

Sophisticated high speed vehiclesdid not evolve from a forum like this or from a textbook. It all has to do with someone trying something that no one else had ever done previously. Like dropping a Cadillac engine in a 1932 Ford back in the 1940's [i.e. the beginning of hot rodding]. When someone did this - they were not thinking that maybe they should wait to determine if their rear end could mathematically handle the increased torque that would be developed. No, they did it - learned - and went on.

So, if you are someone who has modified your vehicle - kudos to you. Whether it was a good mod or a bad mod [or God forbid - a mod that you have not completely thought out to the satisfaction of some other forum here]; you've done something more than simply type another post to some web forum.

Sorry for the rant. [For the record, I am someone who has not modified his vehicle. Yet.]
Old 01-21-2007, 02:00 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

I am running 485rwhp and 450lbs trq.The auto is holding up just fine. Is it a possibilitythat it will fold? Yes. Is it likely that it will fold? Probably. Look guys when it comes to pushing mad power you are goingto break stuff. That comes with the territory. If you drag race you are going ot break stuff more often, Guaranteed.Machines break,nothing is invincible. The only question you shouldbe asking here is"am I willing to take the nextstep if I break something?"If the answer is no than don't start modifying.
This isn't rocket science butif you have done any modson your ride at all youshould already be aware that one adjustment requires another for things to work the way they are supposed too. You can't just buy lowering springs and not expect to have a need for camber bolts, panhard rod, adjustable control arms, or you can deal with the reprocussions of not doing everything.
One good mod deserves another. But we do what we can when we can and brace ourselves for the possibility that things will break. Those are the rules if you don't want to pay don't play.

Quick Reply: How many have blown there a/t with a blower