Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd switch on dash...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Odd switch on dash...

ORIGINAL: Arwing

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Yes, and have you noticed that the trunk-open button on the key fob won't work if your engine is running???
Mine does......
Same...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

My fob works with the engine running. My wifes 95 SHO would not let you use key fob when engine was running so I was suprised when it worked on the stang.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arwing

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Yes, and have you noticed that the trunk-open button on the key fob won't work if your engine is running???
Mine does......
Yep same here. At work I am actually required to keep the car running and open my trunk at the same time so it's a good thing i can or it would make that take even longer. Random car searches suck!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:18 PM
bchataroo
2nd Gear Member

Can't one of you really smart guys come up with a write-up on how to put a trunk release button in! I have had several times that I would have liked to have a button in the car.

IMO, a button would be worth the time to put in if I knew how to do it.

Later
Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Get an extra keyfob on ebay. Program it and mount it in a conveient place on the dash or wherever.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

There was a write up floating around somewhere, but last time i found it the link was dead, if someone still has a copy I can host it as I have unlimited bandwidth.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Trunk Release Button:[/i]

Use a momentary push button switch (McMaster Carr P/N 6915K22 or Radio Shack Cat # 275-646), and solder two leads to it.

Next, Squeeze the sides of the glove box and it flips down. This will give you access to mount the switch. Drill a hole in the glove compartment box. Note there is a metal bar behind the right side of the glove compartment box. There is one spot that has a hole in it. Drill the hole in the plastic to match up with this hole.. My button was 1/2" so I used a uni-bit that went up to 1/2"

Remove the retainer nut from the switch and insert the switch and the leads into the hole. Thread the leads through the nut and onto the switch and tighten the nut up. Next, attach one of the leads to ground. I loosened one of the grond bolts all ready in the glove box and attached the lead to it and retightened.

Next pull off the kick panel on the passenger side, just lift up on the cover and pull off the cover. Find the large wire harness and unwrap enough of the tape to reveal the wires. Find the skinny White wire with a pink stripe. This is the one we will be using. Carefully strip a small piece of insulation off this wire without cutting it. Strip a piece of insulation off the remaining lead from the switch and tightly wrap it around the exposed copper on the White/pink wire. Test your switch, You can solder this connection if you’d like or just tape it up really good.

When finished, rewrap the wire bundle with electrical tape and place it back as it was. Replace the cover and the glove compartment box. Note that if the switch you chose is too big, the trunk might open sometimes if you slam the glove compartment box or if your knee hits the corner of the glove compartment door. If this is a problem, replace the rubber bumper on the glove compartment door with one that is a little larger and made of a harder rubber. Ace Hardware or Home Depot should have these.[/align]
Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 PM
lugnut
1st Gear Member

Here you go. I have not got around to doing this myself though So let us know if it works ok.

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

man i wish we had trunk realease...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

To get back on topic (although that write-up on the trunk switch is awesome, thanks for that!) maybe your switch is an alarm valet switch. Did you buy your car new or used? The big red button further back is the only fuel cutoff switch that I'm aware of. there should not be any switches over the hood release in a factory original mustang. I'd say someone modified it before you.

Quick Reply: Odd switch on dash...