Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now it's a WIGGLY noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Now it's a WIGGLY noise!!!

Everytime I mod this dumb car it can never go smoothly.

Anyway, I'm getting a wiggly noise from my drivers side muffler now when I hit a bump.. The rattles are gone, instead I have this noise that sounds like what you hear when you jump on a bed. When I push down on the passenger muffler it sounds very tight and secure. On the other hand, when I push down on the drivers side muffler...I get that wiggly noise.

I'm not that mechanically inclined so I don't know what to do. The muffler shop fixed the exhaust for me but I'm wondering If this is something I can fix myself in thegarage? Anyone have an idea of what this may be or how I can attempt to fix it? Do you need any special tools?How do I access these so called hangers? Should I put some Loc-Tite or something of that nature? Thanks and I promise this will be the last exhaust question....[&o] I just want this noise gone.

G
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Now it's a WIGGLY noise!!!

So let me get this straight...

You replaced a drone with a wiggly noise???

Interesting, very interesting!!!

D
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Can you take it to the muffler shop? At least you can get it up on a lift and get a good look. They might evenbe able to help you fix it or at least you can get a better look, thank them, leave and try yourself or at another shop. If they did some work on your exhaust it's worth a shot I think. Good luck. All questions are good - let us know what happens.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

It's a hassle for me to bring it all the way back to Long Island Mon-Friday because I work. They're closed on Saturday and Sunday which is even worse. It's gotta be a tightening issue or something of the sort...it's just thatI know NOTHING about what holds the muffler etc...

Yes the drone is notthere anymore but now it seems as if something is a TAD loose and it makes a wiggly noise....lol....funny but serious.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I don't much about cars either, but rattles have the be one of the easier things to fix. If it's rattling, something's loose and bouncing around. It's just a matter of getting a jack underneath, lifting your car, and taking a look.

When I was getting a "wiggly" (hehe!) noise from my exhaust, I found that the muffler shop didn't use the stock hangar, instead, they replaced it with a metallic slab which was rubbing up against the frame. When I started my car, the rattle was terrible.. after warming up, it goes away completely. As a temporary fix, I wedged a piece of cardboard in between the two. Took it to the mufflershop that weekend so they could melt away a 1/2" of the frame to make room for their stupid hangar. Fixed the problem though.

Second time I had an encounter with a nasty rattle was after I installed my swaybars. Again, lifted my car up and tapped around to find the problem. Tightened all the bolts, dropped the car down, and voila.. problem solved.

These are things anyone can do. Even if you only have experience with Legos or Kinex, you can still tighten bolts.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

LOL...OK, I'll try it when I get home from work. I'll post my findings.

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

I don't much about cars either, but rattles have the be one of the easier things to fix. If it's rattling, something's loose and bouncing around. It's just a matter of getting a jack underneath, lifting your car, and taking a look.

When I was getting a "wiggly" (hehe!) noise from my exhaust, I found that the muffler shop didn't use the stock hangar, instead, they replaced it with a metallic slab which was rubbing up against the frame. When I started my car, the rattle was terrible.. after warming up, it goes away completely. As a temporary fix, I wedged a piece of cardboard in between the two. Took it to the mufflershop that weekend so they could melt away a 1/2" of the frame to make room for their stupid hangar. Fixed the problem though.

Second time I had an encounter with a nasty rattle was after I installed my swaybars. Again, lifted my car up and tapped around to find the problem. Tightened all the bolts, dropped the car down, and voila.. problem solved.

These are things anyone can do. Even if you only have experience with Legos or Kinex, you can still tighten bolts.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

The mufflers are held in place by 4 bolts and one or two clamps each. Just get under the car and look, you don't even need a jack, its easy stuff.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

It's too damn cold to check it out......[:@]
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM
jlm07GT

When I installed my axlebacks, I found that the driver's side one was loose like you described. When I got back under the car, I found that the clamp on that side was not tight enough. When I tightened it up, the problem was fixed.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

What the hell does a wiggle sound like??

Quick Reply: Now it's a WIGGLY noise!!!