Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI/SCT = Running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Default CAI/SCT = Running Lean

Ok trust me, I have read must of the posts on this subject. However, I haven't been able to find out what the long term implications are by adding a CAI and Tune (looking at C&L/SCT from Brenspeed). Can someone please help me by answering the following questions.
[ol][*]Will the CAI (C&L) and Tune (SCT) make my car run lean?[*]What are the long term effects to the motor from running these mods...I have heard all the positives are there any negatives?[/ol]
Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI/SCT = Running Lean

If you're worried about it pay to have a dyno pull done after you get your CAI installed and tune loaded. That'll tell you what your a/f ratio is through the whole range. Personally, though, I think that as long as you stick with a reputable tune writer you'll have nothing to worry about. If the big dealers of tunes were putting out product that was killing engines we'd know about it by now.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

a good question would be....

if a reputable seller like brenspeed sells a custom tune/tuner/cai and you pay to dyno the car and it DOES need to be retuned and you pay the dyno shop for a custom tune would brenspeed reimburse you for the cost of their custom tune?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

If you're worried about it pay to have a dyno pull done after you get your CAI installed and tune loaded. That'll tell you what your a/f ratio is through the whole range. Personally, though, I think that as long as you stick with a reputable tune writer you'll have nothing to worry about. If the big dealers of tunes were putting out product that was killing engines we'd know about it by now.
+ 1
Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

I've had a great experience with Superchips' Flashpaq tuner so far and for the Mustang they have recently offered a line of tunes optimised for individual brands of CAI. I do not see C & L listed on their web site here under the 1825 unit for the Mustang, but that doesn't mean they are not working on a file for this CAI. Worth checking out. The tune has totally loosened up my 07 GT, made it a lot fasterand I haven't even gone 91-Octane yet.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hooverimg

Ok trust me, I have read must of the posts on this subject. However, I haven't been able to find out what the long term implications are by adding a CAI and Tune (looking at C&L/SCT from Brenspeed). Can someone please help me by answering the following questions. [ol][*]Will the CAI (C&L) and Tune (SCT) make my car run lean?[*]What are the long term effects to the motor from running these mods...I have heard all the positives are there any negatives?[/ol]
1. No, a bad tune by a bad tuner makes your car run lean.
2. None, only speeding tickets. This isn't exactly a huge mod that will hurt the dependability of the car. All its doing is helping your engine get more air and its overriding the horrible factory tune that enables somebody like my mother to drive the car in comfort.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback....what about passing emissions tests....will the tune/cai hurt?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

Couldn't you just use the SCT and a laptop to data log several parameters, including a/f instead of paying to dyno the car?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SRT_what

Couldn't you just use the SCT and a laptop to data log several parameters, including a/f instead of paying to dyno the car?
Yes, but not through the OBDII OEM port. You'd have to use a Wide Band. You can get a set up and run it through the SCT to the laptop or a full set up with gauge ~$350 vs. a couple of pulls on the dyno for ~$100 which also give you rwhp and tq. If you're going with F/I or N20, it's a good investment, staying N/A, you could use it, but there aren't as many worries about your car leaning out.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

That makes more sense. The whole time I was thinking I could log with just the SCT and a laptop. Now I have to get a wideband

Quick Reply: CAI/SCT = Running Lean