Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you recommend to lift the back of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 AM
nem
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What would you recommend to lift the back of your car?

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I'm prettysure I know where to start thelift but where do I place the jack-stands?
there are two notched sections on each side of the car. behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel . they are notched enough for your stands. you cant miss them. I use afloor jack, jack stands and wheel chalks. i read the same thing in the manual about liftingon the axle buti have done it on most of my vehicles with no problem. do one side at a time then.i have ramps but i hate them. i dont trust them either.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:03 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Hey Moosestang I have lifted all three of my Stangs & all of my work trucks from the center of the rear like in your pic. I have a Ford service manual for 2006 & one day I looked under section called jacking & lifting & it said specifically not to lift car from center of rear or serious damage could occur, no other explanation, I couldn't believe it. I'm wondering if they are worried about damaging the diff cover or bending the tubes from lifting so far from the springs. I don't know anybody got any ideas.
OLD POST ALERT!!!

Can anyone comment on this? This seems like a nice easy way to lift the rear-end but like the guy above says Ford says its unsafe...

Any pros want to comment?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

do a search for jack points or something and you will get several posts with good pictures.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:55 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

hey they say this mostly for safety.. i work at discount tire, and the reason we dont jack it up wiht just one on the rear diff. is becuase it makes the car/truck unstable, and could tip to one side.. and fall.. etc.. we dont use jack stands ever.. and sometimes we'll have a big truck up on four jacks and all the wheels off.. theres not time for the stands.. but with these cars.. as long as the front is on the ground.. chaulked.. your fine using one jack on the diff... if you need to get the fronts off.. i would chaulk the rears.. and then jack it up from the side of the car.. near the wheel well.. this is what we do wiht lowered cars, and exotic cars.. and alot of racing cars..

need anymore help... just say so

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Hey Moosestang I have lifted all three of my Stangs & all of my work trucks from the center of the rear like in your pic. I have a Ford service manual for 2006 & one day I looked under section called jacking & lifting & it said specifically not to lift car from center of rear or serious damage could occur, no other explanation, I couldn't believe it. I'm wondering if they are worried about damaging the diff cover or bending the tubes from lifting so far from the springs. I don't know anybody got any ideas.