Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want an 07 convertible GT....when is the best time to buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I want an 07 convertible GT....when is the best time to buy one?

Vista Blue is the darkest blue. See Jens07stang a couple of posts ago.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gatkins94

ORIGINAL: sandy

What's worked for me isdealwith'em right after the new models hit the lot and they've got to move the old inventory.
I agree!!!
+1 i kinda did that!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandy

What's worked for me is deal with 'em right after the new models hit the lot and they've got to move the old inventory.
Unfortunately that didn't work for me as most (85%) of the cars on dealers lots were automatics and I wanted a stick. Then there was the "trying to find one in my color with the options I wanted" delima. Due to some problems with my wife's medical history, she needs a seat that is fully adjustable so the comfort package on the '07 fit our needs. Even trying to weed through many many Mustangs on dealers inventory using the Ford search engine came up short as most dealers were putting every option available on each order or went the other extreme and ordered them with no options. We ordered ours just before Thanksgiving and picked it up just after New Years. When's the best time to order a new Mustang??? NOW. Life's too short, enjoy now.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Kearsed

Timothy, I wont need to take a loan or finance since I will have the money to buy the car with cash.

Centurion, your saying that it will be very hard to find the exact mustang I want? If that is true then I will aim for the fall....

I do want the car so bad right now, but if I can save a few grand I am gonna do that
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

I'm clear on you having the cash...

My point was that.... ah forget it just buy the car.

Check the local inventory online through fordvehicles.com. You can check the inventory by entering your zip code. If you find one you like you can then see the invoice price for that very car. That is where you start negotiating from. Forget MSRP. If you finda car you like then print off the invoice price, VIN #, etc. and bring it with you.

Bring a friend (have him/her be your moral support) and DON'T be afraid to walk away they WILL call you.

A lot of guys have bought at invoice. I paid 200 over invoice.

Watch out for additional dealer add-ons like window etching,tint, and other stuff.

ORIGINAL: Kearsed

Timothy, I wont need to take a loan or finance since I will have the money to buy the car with cash.

Centurion, your saying that it will be very hard to find the exact mustang I want? If that is true then I will aim for the fall....

I do want the car so bad right now, but if I can save a few grand I am gonna do that
Old 01-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Kearsed

if I want options do I have to find a car that already has that option built in....or can I like actually build my own ford?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

if I want options do I have to find a car that already has that option built in....or can I like actually build my own ford?
The answer to both of your questions is yes. The problem is that most of us want a list of options and the probability of finding that car on a dealers lot go down as the number of options goes up. If you wait until after the '07 production run ends and the dealers start to fill their lots with '08s the prices and rebates on the 07s will get sweeter. On the down side you may end up compromising on certain options to get an available car. It is just how much you are willing to compromise. If you are unwilling to compromise on things like color and options then you will have to special order. You will not save any money on special ordering now or six months from now when they stop taking orders on '07s. You may even get caught in a price increase. Manufacturers schedule price increases between two and three times a year.

I spent hours on fordvehicles.com looking for an '06 that met my requirements back in August and September of last year. Using the UPSP zip code web site I ended up searching every dealership in Florida andcouldn't find what I wanted. To save time, just talk to your dealship's internet expert andhe/she can search the entire Ford network if necessary for a car meeting your specifications.

Here's what I encountered. I'd go to a site and fordvehicles would show 120 mustangs at a dealership. I'd select convertible and that number would drop to less than 20. I'd select GT and now I have maybe 6 or 7 cars to look at. Then the giant killer, I'd select manual tranny and if anything popped up I'mnow looking at one black GT.

Finally, I hope you like the GT appearance package with the hokey fake hood scoop because that is what most of the dealerships are ordering for their lot stock.

For what it's worth, just special order exactly what you want and you'll only have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks and then the fun begins. You should be able to get what you want at invoice now, to try for less, go to Blue Oval News and ask for a X-Plan pin. With X-plan you'll be right at invoice and then with any rebates you'll be below invoice. The other benefit of X-plan is that the dealer can only charge you tax, tag and title transfer. No dealer add ons whatsoever. It also gives you a bargaining chip should you try and talk a dealership down below invoice.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Kearsed

Thanks for the reply. Now it kind of makes sense of why its not always good to wait til the last minute to get the Mustang I want. The one I want is the Convertible GT in Vista Blue (auto) premium package. The only options I really want to add is the all weather floor mats and the security system. Maybe I won't wait til the very last minute, but what about in the fall?

I'm not even sure when the 08 models are coming out on the lot....
Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. Now it kind of makes sense of why its not always good to wait til the last minute to get the Mustang I want. The one I want is the Convertible GT in Vista Blue (auto) premium package. The only options I really want to add is the all weather floor mats and the security system. Maybe I won't wait til the very last minute, but what about in the fall?

Production of 2008s will start in mid-June 2007 some time. You can pre-order a car before that if you want. But the dealers won't have complete info on the cars and options.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure you see the big picture yet, Typically the automotive industry stops taking oders for a current year in May of that year. They then retool and start making the next year's model. By mid to late August the new models hit the showroom floors and they start to discount the current year's models. Not that they aren't already discounted. So if you want an '07 GT vert. and are planning on ordering then you have a little over three months to do so.

Just as an experiment I went to forddirect.com and looked at all of the major Ford dealers in the greater Orlando area. These were dealerships with 50 or more Mustangs on their lots. Here's what I found:

Mustangs..............461
Convertibles...........79
GT verts.................24
Vista Blue Gt verts....3

Of the three VB GT verts here are their options:

#1 California Special, Comfort Group, Front side airbags, Sirius Radio, Black Cloth top, Black/Dove interior, Active alarm, Wheel locks, and boot cover.
#2 IUP, Front side airbags, Sirius Radio, Black Cloth top, Charcoal interior, Active alarm, Wheel locks, GT Appearance package(fake hood scoop), and boot cover.
#3 IUP, boot cover, and Tan top and interior.

As you can see there are 461 Mustangs that were searched and only 3 came up similar to what you want. The key word was similar as none matched your specified options exactly. This is in the latter half of this year's production run and many of these 461 Mustangs will still be on the lot come next Fall but don't expect a lot of additions meeting your requirements. We should also see one price increase between now and the next model year and another price increase when the 2008s are introduced.

If you truely want a Mustang, why wait, so you can save a few bucks at the end of the year? The money you save may just be offset by options you didn't want. To get one with exactly what you want, just order one, It'll be here in about 8 weeks. Otherwise you are going to have to pay for dealer options that were ordered to pad the dealerships profit margin.Trust me, I played this game last fall looking for a Legends Lime GT vert with a stick. I ended up getting my second choise in color and ordered it with what I wanted as I plan on keeping this one a very long time.

Quick Reply: I want an 07 convertible GT....when is the best time to buy one?