Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ford Mustang GT Must Diet

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The Ford Mustang GT Must Diet

+1!!!!!!!!!!! super post!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:46 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Why is everyone so concerned with the horsepower ratings from dodge and chevy anyways? If you bought the stang for solely horsepower then I am sory you bought the wrong car, you should have spent your 25 to 32k you spent on your stang and bought a modded out fox. For the roughly 34k I have invested in my car I could have bought a 90 to 93 with 600+ to the wheels. I bought it for the awesome potential and looks and I will over time make her faster and besides 95% of the time I am not racing anyways.
Exactly horsepower isn't everything. Look at the 300C SRT8 or the Magnum SRT8 both have 425hp but stock vs stock we run right with them.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Thanks all, I was looking for a boost and some information and ideas to combat my GM Freaky Friends, I was running out of steam and as much as I love My Car, I just can't defend the under power over weight comments, there getting old.Sure I can say to them what does GM have under 30K with the same performance, hmm.. Nothing What does Dodge have now??? Sure the Mustang Survived 43years where your presious Camaro ?
Ok there building it again and sure it will have a ton of power, my hope is that the mustang gets a boost in 08-09 and still be around 30K. then I see Ford winning the pony car wars once again, Sometimes I just need a boost, and sometimes I will go outside and just stare at my 05 and say, "Dam thats a Nice looking car" I hear some of you, really I do, our cars got the looks and style for the right price.

I might have messed up the Weight vs HP Calculation, but the point was that Ford tried to lower the weight on the GT, by going with an aluminum hood, lighter weight Jaguar suspension parts, Lincoln LS Frame, all this adds up to lower costsby using already manufactured parts. I just think that the Shelby could have used some more weight saving options on the GT 500, then I think there would be more respect from the Bow Tie crowd.

GM is trying to do the same this with the Holden Zeta Frame, and Holden engines (since it's a GM company) By using this New Frame for the camaro the startup cost will be high but some of this cost can be absourb into the Holden Line which is a top seller in Australia. Sure the GTO was a Bomb in the US,but the Euro freaks still love it because of it's euro style and it's euro handling.

The Dodge Challenger will still be based on the charger frame that = weight for sure, but they are using lighter parts to lower the weight, I miss spoke on the carbon fiberbody panels, it is just the hood in the production model, they are also doing aluminum interior framing like dash and center console, but at least there trying to reduce weight and maintain US safety standards.

I do believe that chevys camaro will be watered down in the production version and heavier "I hope" but one thing for sure is that GM will find a way to screw it up, the F-body camaro had a lot of potential andGM made it butt ugly ,thats why sales slumped and that is one of the reasons they discontinued it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:21 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

I'm not going to get into the who's wrong and who's right debate, but I will say this - I love my mustang and I hope to have it a long time. IMOit's the best performance car for the money I paid.But at the same time I'm savin pennies for a new camaro because I love american made muscle- doesn't matter much to me who builds it! To me it just means that I can trash talk on two different forums. I love that the big three are building the "retro look" cars, theres nothing better in my mind (except the orignal of course)! Thats just my .02!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

2600lbs? - please....a lx notchback weighed more than that!

If you don't want all of those items remove them. All cars coming with power locks/windows saves them production costs. Anyone that complains about these cars either has not owned previous generation cars or just likes to complain. These cars handle better ,brake better, and have more power than any standard v8 mustang ever. To complain about it is ridiculous. Who f'n cares about the new Camaro. They will be overpriced as they always have been. Dollar for dollar a mustang buyer gets more performance. Just like the first generation camaros Chevy is 3 years behind......

Power windows/locks are so cheap now adays, that taking the time to design manual windows/locks would add cost to the car and save little in weight probably. Plus one the production line now, there is one only one option when it comes to windows/locks, and so its an easy install without (less) chance of screwing up.

that being said, i still am the type that would like a lightweight option, but i dont see it happening for a price that fits with the mustang. lightweight vs 5.4L S/C engine who's gonna win out in the hearts and minds of people with the money? even if they performed the same and cost the same, you just can't show off "lightweight" as you can a big honking engine...thats what the 60's were about. NOW i know there were cases of cars in the 60's going on diet i believe (memory fading...to much beer),there will always be an example of something going against whatever someone says in a forum like this i'm sure.

where your going to lighten the car up is by removing all the crap you dont want yourself. hey its a mod not to many really do...haha, put that in your sig "C&L CAI, Tune, lost 400lbs".

off to fill up my gut with food, in turn making my car all that much more heavy.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I thought that I read that the Camaro was not going to happen. Anyone else see this information or am I having wild dreams?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

I thought that I read that the Camaro was not going to happen. Anyone else see this information or am I having wild dreams?
Not what I have heard, It's still on Chevrolet site as upcoming car.
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

too much reading.... you guys kill me with this crap.

i'd take a mustang over a chevy or dodge or anything else ANY DAY OF THE WEEK NO MATTER WHICH WAS FASTER.

maybe im stupid, crazy, or maybe i am just a true mustang fan instead of all these bandwagon jumping *****'s you see anymore.

Amen brother!
I saw all those high priced Hemis and Camaros at Barrett-Jackson and kept shaking my head! They just don't have to looks of the Mustang. And no Hemi does today, not even those concept cars like the Camaro or the Challenger, which look identical. So what if it's a little heavy? You should be more concerned about the handling of the car over the power anyway!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

ORIGINAL: my77stang

too much reading.... you guys kill me with this crap.

i'd take a mustang over a chevy or dodge or anything else ANY DAY OF THE WEEK NO MATTER WHICH WAS FASTER.

maybe im stupid, crazy, or maybe i am just a true mustang fan instead of all these bandwagon jumping *****'s you see anymore.

Amen brother!
I saw all those high priced Hemis and Camaros at Barrett-Jackson and kept shaking my head! They just don't have to looks of the Mustang. And no Hemi does today, not even those concept cars like the Camaro or the Challenger, which look identical. So what if it's a little heavy? You should be more concerned about the handling of the car over the power anyway!
Weight, or lack thereof, improves handling probably more than it improves acceleration. These would be much more fun to drive if they were at least 300 or 400 pounds lighter. My '85 Mustang GT weighed about 350 pounds less than my '06 and it was a better handling, more nimble car in spite of the fact that it had an inferior suspension.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

all this talk about what Dodge or GM may or may not have in a couple of model years is kind of funny. If they raise the bar, then EVERYBODY wins. Relax and enjoy the fact that you have the cash to play in this little game, and that we have choices.. I came of age in the late '70's and early '80's, which was fun because there were lots of 60's cars and early '70's cars to play with...but the new cars were total carp.

But, I must disagree with this quote:

"Ford always moves first and GM counters. Every time. "

Have you looked at GM's offerings of late? CTSV, STSV, GTO (400 hp, by the way), Grand Prix, G6 (hardtop convertible and new "GTP"), Trailblazer SS, Suburban (Ford has been struggling to compete with that for years), Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice....on an on and on. Where's Ford moving first in these areas?

Now I have no brand loyalty to the general, but Ford lost my brand loyalty years ago due to a stagnant and boring product line. The Mustang is a bright spot on a mostly dull product line, and Ford has been well known to launch a good product and ride it to the ground rather than to continuously improve upon it.

Maybe the shellacking that Ford is taking in the press with the $12.8B loss will wake them up. But...maybe not.

In any event, I'll enjoy my Mustang for now (as long as the #$% battery stops dying), and when the Challengers and Camaros come out in convertible form, if it's time for a change, then so be it. If not, so what.....

Quick Reply: The Ford Mustang GT Must Diet