Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did they do for you gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What did they do for you gas tank?

Luckily mine has only done that twice

*knock on wood*
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

'05 Screaming Yellow GT here.

Had problems at the beginning. Don't think I ever attempt to let the nozzle hang in the filler. I just hold the handle at somewhere around three o'clock and hold it at pretty fast fill rate. Haven't really had a problem filling in some time, except for the fact I can't do anything but hold the nozzle.

I also always check the "Gallons Used" before I start filling. My car is more often than not full at .5 gallons +/- of the "Gallons Used" indicated. Once in awhile since I INSIST on topping off I get a wee spill and I pull my Meguiar's and cloth and clean it up. Keep some in the trunk all the time.
I've only had my car for a month and have filled it up once but I did experience the same thing. I couldn't understand why the pump kept shutting off so I pulled the handle out some and clicked on the trigger to hold it and had no more problems.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:28 AM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

The 12 oclock position works for me. I don't need to hold the pump handle that way either, as it will stay put in that position.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Here is a link to how to fix the problem so bring this to the dealership and show them or you can try yourself but this works

http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

doesnt the designers check for simple problems like this? every day i see more and more problems inherent with a car that is (and should be) so spectacular.

grrrrrrrrr.........
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The problem with this issue is that it depends on the pump you fill the car up at. Some gas stations it works OK, and others it dones't. What is Ford supposed to do? Check fill-ups at 50 different gas stations?

The problem is that something about the gas tank fill/vent piping makes the gas pump think the tank is full when it's really not. So, gas stations that have more sensitive pumps are more prone to this problem than others. Also, the problem is more likely to occur if you fill the gas quickly.

Anyway, my car has this problem. I just put the gas nozzle at the 3 o clock position and it fills up perfectly every time, even at max flow. Problem solved.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I have tried to turn the nozzle up-side down and it still takes a little more but shuts off.... its that spring thats on the end of the nozzle I think... it doesnt let the filler go completely or even halfway in.... the 2 gas stations that I use, dont have a spring on the nozzle, so it lets the filler nozzle go completely inside. I dont know if Ford put in a device so that people cant spihon gas from the car? im heading to my dealer in 1 hour and ill see what they say... oh and i live on an island where there are not alot of gas stations where I live, so for me i consider it a big concern. Unlike the mainland, i dont have a gas station around the every corner... just 25 miles inbetween...

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
What is Ford supposed to do? Check fill-ups at 50 different gas stations?
Other Ford vehicles can fill up at any gas station with no problem, why cant my car be so easy?

EDIT: thanks BillyJo for that page about the box.... ill tell my dealer about that too..
Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skoshi42

Other Ford vehicles can fill up at any gas station with no problem, why cant my car be so easy?
Dumb luck, really. While a lot of the mechanical components of the car can be designed to be failure-free though compex math and computer modeling, a lot of the car is still designed in some engineer's head: literally, someone thinks up how it should be built based on their experience.Ofcourse, they build a sampleand then they test it on the prototype to make sure it works. If the prototype had no problems with fuel filling, then they go onto production. So, the engineer(s) involvedmight have made a mistake--but if the gas pump they used to test it wasn't one of those that is prone to the problem, then Ford would never have known. Of course once the cars get into general use, then the problem becomes evident. Most of the time everything is OK, but at some gas pumps this problem happens.

Now what Ford needs to do at this point is come up with a good fix for it and then retrofit the cars. Everyone makes mistakes--the real issue is how do they deal with them afterwards.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

I don't know how everyone can just deal with holding the nozzle a certain way lol. It STILL is a pain to do it that way. It's a new car there should be ZERO problems. Im still under warranty, so they better be doing something.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:00 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

mine did this for the first month and it really pissed me off. then it just stopped and hasn't happened in the 8 months since.

Quick Reply: What did they do for you gas tank?