Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Issues (HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

Default HID Issues (HELP!)

So, I bought an HID kit for my car, everything looks amazing, and when you turn them on without starting the car, they look great. Bright, very nice kit. Only issue is, when I start the car, it kills the headlights, and they wont work. Turn the car back off, and they work again...anyone know what could cause this?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: HID Issues (HELP!)

Sounds like one of those cheap lowbeam only ebay kits. Am I right? Which manufacturer?
Do the ballast plug straight in to the existing wiring or was there subsequent wiring involved also?

There is something to be said for spending the money for brand name stuff. The Saleen kits are flawless.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

Its a Brand Name, but low beam only HID kit...i for the most part dont cheap out on anything, but found the Saleen kits to be a tad overpriced. The kit said it doesnt involve any additioanl wiring, and is plug and play. Nice kit, but I have a feeling it is going to require running a relay for the headlights, since our cars were not made for a kit like this (much like Mercedes and European models)...im just hoping it could be something else, because before I run a relay to have a supposedly plug and play kit, Ill make the company take it back and ill go back to the replacement bulbs. Sucks because the HIDs look so nice when lit.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I have heard this allot with "ebay" HIDkits. This is the nice thing about the Saleen HID. They have both low and high beam function and basically are a plug and play.Like hawg said, sometimes it worth paying for the real deal. I hope youcan get it figured out. It always pisses me when you can't get something to work right. If you interested in the Saleen's though, give us a call.

Casey
Old 01-25-2007, 01:19 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I believe JDM is selling Saleen Kits now for like 599..
Old 01-25-2007, 03:35 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

What you need to do is run a new relay setup for each ballast as the OEM one can not support the HID ballast. Ive installed one on my on car and on a few others so i know it works, at least with the kits that i sell. You can should run the new relay setup so it has a better power source. You should be fine after you have done this. As for the saleen kit it has relays that come with thier kit because it needs it as well. Saleens are expensive because the housing is motorized so that you can have a high beam.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

i thought the HID's use less power so whats the deal..why a new and better power source..also mustang tuning had a kit for about 300..low beams only...amyone knoow about these...i oredered them a while ago but they were sold out and i cancelled the order
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

With the car off HID's will work fine and with the car running the voltage is higher and its tripping the oem relay because it thinks the lights are not on due to such a small current draw from the ballast. Im not 100% sure if thats the reason but thats my guess and the relay solved all the problems ive seen,
Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 AM
bomb79
1st Gear Member

i was thinking of buying the kit form stangmods.com im a little wary now i guess i can do the whole relay thing but im a lazy man .has anyone bought the kit from stangmods
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

ANBAuto, I hate to be a pest, but would you mind posting or pming me what all I have to do, and maybe a little bit of instruction on how to set up the relay?

Quick Reply: HID Issues (HELP!)