Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realistically, what are the chances: Shelby at MSR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Blue Oval Bandit

Default Realistically, what are the chances: Shelby at MSR?

So has anyone done it? Can it be done? Surely there has to be an honest dealership out there that will sell at sticker on these.

When I bought my car 80% of the dealers had a $10,000 - $15,000 markup over sticker on them, and after walking out of two dealerships I got mine for under sticker so I know it's not beyond the realm of possibility generally speaking.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Realistically, what are the chances: Shelby at MSR?

Welcome, and nice SRT-8!

Don't think the Shelby will be anywhere near MSRP for a while... not that strong negotiating skills wouldn't hurt! Never know!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

You may get away with $5,000 over MSRP but anything less is highly unlikely. It may be more honest if dealers sold them for MSRP, but it would be stupid because some people are willing to pay $15,000 over MSRP.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

The dealer where I bought my GT from was selling GT500s for $88,000
Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Blue Oval Bandit

I spoke with one dealer not long ago about one (they had already sold 4 previously that month) and they had no issue with saying to my face $20,000 over sticker. I then had no issue chuckling and walking out. If someone had asked for $80,000 I might have passed out from laughing so hard.

You have to wonder why anyone would pay that much just to be one of the first? In a year or so when the prices taper off they will have lost $40,000 that they can never regain. Maybe if Shelby/Ford only made a few hundred I could see that, but c'mon, it's not that limited.

If I find one at sticker, or just a grand or two over I will buy one. Otherwise I will be looking at other options (Shelby GT, or a GT Premium).
Old 01-26-2007, 11:23 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

There is nothing dishonest about ADM....unless it is somehow done dishonestly.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Blue Oval Bandit

Well you have to put it in perspective. Sticker price already factors in dealer profit, so anything above that could be considered by some as taking advantage. They are also creating the illusion of supply vs demand. Ford will be producing enough of these to satisfy those that want them, and they are delivering fairly quickly.

When I first caught wind that my car was to be produced, I pre-ordered it and waited 4 months for them to build mine. After the 2nd month all I kept hearing from the dealer was "2 more weeks" every 2 weeks. I got fed up, cancelled my order and bought one elsewhere. There was a true supply problem on them compared to the number that people ordered. At the time you didn't see more than 2 or 3 on eBay. Look at eBay right now and you'll see no less than 15-20 Shelby's right there.

A slight ADM would be acceptable to most to be sure they were the first to get one, but when the price ends up 40% to 90% OVER sticker then there is an issue.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

These Shelby's are way overrated. I mean they are making 32,000 so it's not like they are that amazingingly rare. For $75,000 I would buy a new Z06 put on a CAI and a tune and I could beat a Ford GT.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 AM
LoLO
1st Gear Member

go check on ebay there are some garage listed there you can find some at around 50k i believe
Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

Which Shelby are you talking about? The GT or GT500?

There was someone who posted earlier this month (if memory serves) that his neighbor got a GT500 for MSRP.

As far as the Shelby GT, the 325 hp version, I'm sure those will be at MSRP very quickly. Much more quickly then it took the GT500.

Quick Reply: Realistically, what are the chances: Shelby at MSR?