Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warned about pinging at redline with 91-O tune: Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

Default Warned about pinging at redline with 91-O tune: Should I be concerned?

I do not shift at redline, usually. WOT yes but 6 - 6.5k suits my driving style just fine. This morning I installed a 91-Octane tune optimised for the K & N CAI and took it to my performance shop for the tech to test-drive. He pronounced himself satisfied but warned me that redline shifting may produce pinging with this tune. Is this something I need to be worried about? Is it something I should talk to my tuner manufacturer (Superchips/Flashpaq) about?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Warned about pinging at redline with 91-O tune: Should I be concerned?

It might be worth pulling a little bit of timing to avoid. Personally, I'd get out of the throttle if I got pinging and certainly if you hear any knocking. The engine does have knock sensors, but I still prefer to be safe. You might want to consider trying another brand of gasoline as well. Perhaps what you've been running isn't giving you all the octane you're paying for.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Warned about pinging at redline with 91-O tune: Should I be concerned?

I had the same issue with a Brenspeed tune, so I had him dial out some of the timing on the top end (this was caused by the overall crappy quality of fuel here in California). He took out about 4*, and it solved the issue. Before you do that though, try a better grade of gasoline.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Who is flashpaq and why would you choose them over a well known tuner and shop?(SCT/brenspeed)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Who is flashpaq and why would you choose them over a well known tuner and shop?(SCT/brenspeed)
Okay I'm going to get flamed for this but I went with the tuner manufacturer that my performance shop recommended. The company is called Superchips and as you can see from their web site here, they do 91 and 87 Octane tuner files plus files optimised for different brands of CAI, including my own. The product is good, the after-sales service superb and the tunes are thoroughly track and dyno-tested. Even the 87 woke my car up and the 91 is fast. Maybe they are a CA company if they don't offer a 93-O file.

Anyway, I am aware of the popular brands you name and only time will tell me whether or not I've been an idiotfor going this way...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
superchips tuner

You should not have any issues with pinging. Even if you over rev the motor acceidently.
Ron
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Take timing out if not increase your octane level and run with the same timing. Also remember you will get bad gas from time to time. We here in South Carolina have terrible gas. I run the 93 octane tune in the winter and go back to the 91 octane tune in the summer with 93 octane gas. Any freaking car sometime will knock it isn't a secret. My car runs so much stronger in the cold weatherthat it's ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

ping = bad If you only get it around red line then you can drive or cruise around without issues. But thats not what you but a mustang for is it ? [sm=gears.gif] The stock rods have little tolerance for detonation. Get it taken care of ASAP !
Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Mike07270

I did the tuning for the flashpaq. I worked at SCT for almost three years as the tech support manager and did dealer trainings. I made the switch to Superchips Inc. Did the guy that drove the car actually hear it ping or is he assuming it might. I did extensive testing in all conditions on a whole bunch of cars using 91 octane. Usually there is more oxygen in the fuel in California and I took this into account. I do not have the same fuel in Florida so if it did actually ping,I would like to address the problem. It is as simple as uploading a new file. The flashpaq comes with a usb cable to update it. You should be able to take the car up to 6800k without a problem. I beat the hell out of my car and never have had a problem. Every month we rent the track and I will run my car back to back the whole day. I will do what it takes to fix it if there is a problem.

Mike
Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike07270

I did the tuning for the flashpaq. I worked at SCT for almost three years as the tech support manager and did dealer trainings. I made the switch to Superchips Inc. Did the guy that drove the car actually hear it ping or is he assuming it might. I did extensive testing in all conditions on a whole bunch of cars using 91 octane. Usually there is more oxygen in the fuel in California and I took this into account. I do not have the same fuel in Florida so if it did actually ping, I would like to address the problem. It is as simple as uploading a new file. The flashpaq comes with a usb cable to update it. You should be able to take the car up to 6800k without a problem. I beat the hell out of my car and never have had a problem. Every month we rent the track and I will run my car back to back the whole day. I will do what it takes to fix it if there is a problem.

Mike
Thanks for joining the conversation Mike. My experience (I run a Brenspeed-tuned SCT XCal2) was that each tune (87, 89 and 91) all pinged at the higher RPMs. Very noticable. To Brenspeeds credit, they adjusted the tune accordingly.

In the future for Superchips, you should take the quality (or, lack thereof) of California's "reformulated" fuels. They are not as good as the rest of the country, so I would suggest doing California-specific tunes before you get returns, or worse - lawsuits.

Quick Reply: Warned about pinging at redline with 91-O tune: Should I be concerned?