Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Default suspension

Hey guys....this is officially my first opening thread....when i got my 06 GT about 3 months ago it already had some mods to it....Eibach sportline springs, 4:10 gears amongst others.....i've heard others talk about "launching" andim not sure if the car hasaftermarket LCA's or any other suspsension mod done to it bc from a dig i am havingtrouble hooking up....what all wouldneed to be done(within a reasonableprice) to increase traction from a dig, or just in general?Thanks in advance for your responses. -Danny
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: suspension

I think LCAs might take care of it with a panhard bar perhaps. Wait for CrazyAl to get out of bed for a better answer though.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

[sm=happy046.gif]Haha! I'm up? What'd I miss?

First thing is, it would be really nice to what mods may have been done to the car. That will be critical in finding out what's going on!

However, my first guess is that the car was lowered and there were no LCA relocation brackets installed. That will KILL your ability to launch, especially with a really low drop like the sportlines. Normally it's not that big of a deal but when you drop the car that low, it is mandatory if you want to hook up.

Also, by the looks of the photo your car has 20s on it. The 20s themselves can reduce your launching performance because there is less sidewall to flex in the tire, though this is a more minor issue than the suspension parts.

Can you tell us what mods have been done to the car?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Lol thanks Matt and Al.....well when i got the car those mods were already done to it except the 20's ....but even before i got the rims i had the stock 17's and new kumho tires on rear and as far as hooking up goes it was probably worse before i got the 20s.....and im not an expert by any means with suspension, butill try to get under there or take it to a local shop with a lift and find out...be back later.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:04 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

ok Al....here are a couple pics....i had to take them with my camera phone pretty quick....hope you can tell whats going on in them...

[IMG]local://upfiles/55170/04F45C0214984B31A5B2A9CC0241E785.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/55170/C0286CE26244486BB9275942A4592E42.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

looks all stock underneath. panhard bar , LCA with brackets. plus you micht want to get it aligned. If he had not had it done with that drop you will get uneven wear.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You're going to want some lower control arms that are adjustable or an upper control arm that's ajustable and solid lowers. I personall went with the adj. LCA's and left the upper stock. You need adjustable control arms to correct your pinion angle. I'm not sure how much LCA relocation brackets help, but I ordered some to give them a try. For better traction you want the lower control arm to angle downward at the axle mount, your look like they are angled upward becauseof the extreme drop.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yep! That stuff is all stock. That is an example of an improperly done drop!

Here is a list of things to do:

1) Get your front alignment checked, specifically the camber. You may need some "camber bolts" to fix this. They are cheap.

2) You need to fix your pinion angle. As others have said that means you need either an adjustable UCA or adjustable LCAs. I suggest the adjustable LCAs. This will kill two birds with one stone: It will fix your pinion angle, and it will eliminate wheelhop, giving you more traction.

3) Get some LCA relocation brackets: Either the Steeda or the BMR. In your case these will make a HUGE difference. You want the rearmost (axle)end of the LCA to be lower than the front (body) end. This plants the tires to the ground when you accelerate. In your case it's backwards...which actually lifts the tires when you accelerate.

4) Check the centering of your rear axle. I'm willing to bet that one of your rear tires sticks out more than the other one. If this is the case you will need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center it.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Moose, Mike, and once again Al.... I'm new to all of this mustang performance stuff and i enjoy learning about all the different aspects of it......its becoming quite the addiction......So Al...in which exact order should i get this done because this is something that i need/want to tackle really soon.....should i go get my front-end alignment and camber bolts done first...then order my adjustable LCA's and LCA relocation brackets and get a local body shop to put them on, or is this something i can tackle myself?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Question for you CrazyAl, how do I check and make sure pinion is correct or is this something done when it is aligned?

Quick Reply: suspension