Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel quality in CA: Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel quality in CA: Any tips?

Any top-tier brand should work great ...

From Shell's website:
"Major auto manufacturers agree that a clean engine performs better. BMW, GM, Honda and Toyota have developed a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard that exceeds the EPA standards. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a high-quality gasoline with enhanced cleaning power. It provides better protection against the build-up of carbon deposits on intake valves and fuel injectors, as compared to low- detergent gasolines ... There is a difference in the gasoline you choose."

see http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html for a list of brands that are top-tier. (Hmm .. BP, recommended by Ford, Is not on the list!)

Also: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...s_you_use.html ... interesting write-up that talks about Ford and top-tier gas
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Isn't this nice... in the article, it states that "None of the BP brands are listed as Top Tier."

How nice of Ford to print the BP advertising on my gas cap, encouraging the purchase of crappy gas...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

Hey thanks for all the good advice, gents. @ 06GT4RAD, would you mind elaborating just a little re. the product in the link, i.e. what makes it better than anything else, how you've observed the results and how much and how often do you add it to your fuel? Many thanks.
Ok the crap you can buy in the stores such as Outlaw and !04 or what ever that crap is called does not raise the Octane of the fuel. When it says it raise the octane level by 2 points what it means is it turns 91 Octane into 91.2 Octane not to mention it will ruin your spark plugs.

The link I posted is Torco which is a High gradeUnleaded Fuel not really an additive. And if you use it as directed will increase your octane from a 91 to about a 105 Octane. This is not some cheap 2.99 a can additive but is actual high octane fuel. It would be the same as adding racing fuel to your tank from a pump only they sell it in cans. As for the results i myself have not used it but i do kow of many people that do and all have great results with it. As for how you add it you will add it each time you fill your tank as directed on the bottle. Here is a link to the FAQ's page go read it.

http://www.torco.com/index.php?fuseaction=home.faqs

http://www.torco.com/index.php?fusea...play&id=40

Richard
Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Isn't this nice... in the article, it states that "None of the BP brands are listed as Top Tier."

How nice of Ford to print the BP advertising on my gas cap, encouraging the purchase of crappy gas...
They want you to use crappy gas, blow your engine and buy another Ford! Preying on that customer loyalty thing! Like the way they make Hondas so easy to steal!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

Chevron since day 1 with my 91 Brenspeedtune and mods to date and never a problem or a dull moment. [sm=hiya.gif]
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GTEddy

Chevron since day 1 with my 91 Brenspeed tune and mods to date and never a problem or a dull moment. [sm=hiya.gif]
Your combo is pretty similar to mine (except you have an auto and different gears), so maybe Brent hooked you up with a California tune already. If you're not sure, run the RPMs up in a lower gear, going up a hill to put more load on her, and listen carefully to doublecheck.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, there is another alternative that not many people are aware of.. I live Colorado and we don't exactly get the best fuel here either. I researched this same subject a few months ago. I came up with a cure and I am very happy with the results. I am running a Zex nitrous kit 125 HP shot with a Diablo 93 tune on pump gas. In fact my timing has been advanced from the stock Diablo 93 tune. Now, your probably saying, how is that possible? Well, I also added an alcohol injection system from snowperformance. The kit which sells for $400 has everything you need to fit your S197 Mustang.

The alcohol can be purchased from Snow or in a pinch you can use the $1 a bottle blue wiper fluid from Wal-Mart along with 2-16 ounce bottles of Heet fuel line de-icer. Also quite a few gas stations are now pumping methanol for the flex fuel vehicles. Any way you look at it, it's easy to get what you need.The system ties into the Masss Air Flow sensor and injects into the intake tube before the throttle body. I use my stock washer fluid bottle as the resevoir it holds approx. 1 1/2 gallons of alcohol and water 50-50 mix. Now, the alcohol effectively raises the octane of your 91 pump gas to about 110 octane.

Also the alcohol reduces the intake manifold air charge temperature about 40-50 degrees. These two benefits that the alcohol injection system make are extremely important. The octane increase allows for more timing advance, the cooling of the intake air charge creates more HP as the air entering the engine carries more oxygen, and that equals more power. So, I carry a couple gallons of the 50-50 mix in my trunk. I top off the washer bottle each time I fill up the tank. The ratio of gasoline to alcohol mix is about 10 gals gas to 1 gal of alcohol.

The system works very well. I also carry my Diablo tuner in the car just in case the system fails, I can load the stock tune back in until I get it fixed. Check out the link above to get more info. There are a ton of guys using this system and they can be used on normally aspirated motors too. They really work best on cars with nitrous, turbos and superchargers. So much so that they even outperform the intercoolers on those applications.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 AM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

ORIGINAL: 07GTEddy

Chevron since day 1 with my 91 Brenspeed tune and mods to date and never a problem or a dull moment. [sm=hiya.gif]
Your combo is pretty similar to mine (except you have an auto and different gears), so maybe Brent hooked you up with a California tune already. If you're not sure, run the RPMs up in a lower gear, going up a hill to put more load on her, and listen carefully to doublecheck.
No pingy no knocky ever....................up hill (Pretty steep) over drive on........[sm=trust_me.gif]