Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty issue revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Default Warranty issue revisited

My brother is a Ford mechanic. We got into a discussion over the weekend about putting a supercharger (FRPP/Whipple) on my car. He told me if the dealer installs it the warranty will not be voided. He told me he attended a Ford Class and this was discussed. I will try to talk to my brother-in-law who also is a Ford mechanic to confirm(and also get it in writing) that this is true. Anyone else have any updated info on this? I know its a well discussed topic.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty issue revisited

Well..i think yuo will find a mix bag in response. Some dealers will say that if the installed component cause the failure of a stock part, Ford will not replace. Other will say that the component's warranty is voided regardless. I think your particular dealer and the relationship (or lack off) will determine the rules of engagement on this subject. Ok, other can pitch in.....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

This is true of the whipple, saleen, and roush superchargers....Just about all dealers will not honor any s/c related problems with your car. IMO if you can afford8 grand worth of work done to your car, you can afford any problems that arise
Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

Not true. You will preserve your factory warranty if you run a Roush supercharger at stock boost level.

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

This is true of the whipple, saleen, and roush superchargers....Just about all dealers will not honor any s/c related problems with your car. IMO if you can afford8 grand worth of work done to your car, you can afford any problems that arise
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

Modifations to the car will not void your warranty unless the modifidy part causes the failure to the car. It is not legal to void warranty just because you have modications. this comes from the ford warranty rep. ford has released the whipple charger as a ford s/c and is covered under the factory warranty if installed by the selected ford dealers.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I retract my statement. I misread your earlier post.

ORIGINAL: pj1010

Not true. You will preserve your factory warranty if you run a Roush supercharger at stock boost level.

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Some dealers, mine being one, will not void the warranty. You have to realize though that if something major goes wrong ie. spun bearing, Ford will send out an inspector to go over the car. It is then up to him or her to say if it will be covered.My dealership, if this happenswill then cover the cost ourselves so its no cost to the costumer. As long as we sold and installed the part.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
casdds11

Simply go to fordracingparts.com and read the warranty section regarding these parts. There is no coverage implied whatsover regarding the installation of these parts to your car (except for crate motors) and the damage they could cause. Forget this Magnusson act baloney, it isn't worth the fees in attorney costs (no attorney wants to waste time doing this) and at the end of the day it's useless if your dealer decides not to play ball. I've spoken to Ford's hotline person and essentially if a part that was placed breaks something else there is a good chance there will be no coverage (even parts from their catalog). I've seen a post here that related to electrical problems and supercharger/aftermarket installation where the repair was not covered, etc. another example differential blew due to increased horsepower from so and so part.. If you have an 05 or 06 and your warranty is soon over who cares. However if you have an 07 with the new 5 year 60k engine coverage this may be an issue. Worst case scenario you'll be responsible for the cost of repair. I'm hesitant about dealerships standing behind their work and guarnteeing things unless it's in writing. Repair techs, salesman, manager on all levels have an extremely high turnover in this business. What goes today, may not go tommorrow. The best is to have in writing that not only the part that is installed will be covered by the dealership but also any additional work that is needed as a result of that part will be covered under the warranty. Otherwise you have nothing.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Aw yes, let me chime in on this one...........

My husband is a technician for our local Ford dealership. Southwest Ford is an "authorized" SVT dealer and their techs are trained and certified to install and service FRPP/SVTparts and vehicles. If Southwest sells and installsANY FRPPparts, my warranty is covered 100%. So, I guess I am one of the lucky, privilegedmustang ownerswho hasthis type of Ford dealership. Based on what I have read and heard, not all Ford dealerswill or can offer this.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
oakman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: casdds11

Simply go to fordracingparts.com and read the warranty section regarding these parts. There is no coverage implied whatsover regarding the installation of these parts to your car (except for crate motors) and the damage they could cause. Forget this Magnusson act baloney, it isn't worth the fees in attorney costs (no attorney wants to waste time doing this) and at the end of the day it's useless if your dealer decides not to play ball. I've spoken to Ford's hotline person and essentially if a part that was placed breaks something else there is a good chance there will be no coverage (even parts from their catalog). I've seen a post here that related to electrical problems and supercharger/aftermarket installation where the repair was not covered, etc. another example differential blew due to increased horsepower from so and so part.. If you have an 05 or 06 and your warranty is soon over who cares. However if you have an 07 with the new 5 year 60k engine coverage this may be an issue. Worst case scenario you'll be responsible for the cost of repair. I'm hesitant about dealerships standing behind their work and guarnteeing things unless it's in writing. Repair techs, salesman, manager on all levels have an extremely high turnover in this business. What goes today, may not go tommorrow. The best is to have in writing that not only the part that is installed will be covered by the dealership but also any additional work that is needed as a result of that part will be covered under the warranty. Otherwise you have nothing.

Well said, verbal assurances mean nothing. Turnover happens in all makes. My wife has a Toyota and everytime we go to the dealership, it seems their is a big turnover of staff. I would like to add some mods to my engine etc. but I won't cuz I want my warranty intact.

Quick Reply: Warranty issue revisited