Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket mods

Yes, 400-500 bucks including the parts. I saw an article in MM&FF where they installed the Ford Powerpack on a GT, and well, the tune must suck b/c they saw no significant increase in HP or TQ. I would definitely go with one of our vendors for a CAI/tune such as Brenspeed.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

from everything I've read on here, flowmasters, although being the thing to get on fox bodies, don't do much for the s197's. They won't give you much more flow or sound over stock since Ford really thought the exhaust through it seems this time. The Ford racing exhaust is actually Borla stingers with the oval stamped on them. They are really good mufflers, but you could find them cheaper elsewhere for sure than the dealer. Doing the exhaust yourself on these cars isn't too bad, it's all bolt together now. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, I'd save the cash and do the exhaust yourself.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:20 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/

Hey, and welcome, consider Brenspeed, Brent,(owner) tries out everything he sells and only stocks things that work well. He is generally competive on price too.

Good Luck and be careful when you get your GT, give yourself time to get used to the power.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AMBmustangGT

well i've still been thinking over the past couple of days and i know ford offeres the cai and axleback kit from the dealership. and i know you will still be able to keep the factory warranty w/ it

my questions about it are

1. how much does it cost
2. does it increaser performance as much as say a K&N cai and flowmaster axlebacks, or is there a pretty big difference in the performance between the two?

The FRPP is GREAT (though certainly not cheap at $1362 installed).
Read my current thread entitled: "My FRPP Mods UPDATE !!!" in the "4.6 V8 specific" subsection and ALL your questions will be answered there.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:53 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Yes, 400-500 bucks including the parts. I saw an article in MM&FF where they installed the Ford Powerpack on a GT, and well, the tune must suck b/c they saw no significant increase in HP or TQ. I would definitely go with one of our vendors for a CAI/tune such as Brenspeed.

I can tell you from my own (AND JimsGT's) personal experience that this statement is absolutely freakin' RIDICULOUS...!
I noticed a HUGE difference in performance from the FRPP, and another MF member named "JimsGT"- who first tried a C & L CAI with Evolution 93 octane tune before switching over to the FRPP (to keep his warranty intact like I did), said the difference between the two was "almost unnoticable"!
I didn't read that article you speak of, but the author clearly has his head stuck up his A$$ (or has his own personal agenda for saying that...).
He couldn't be MORE wrong.........!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the mods included in the FRPP are the EXACT same mods that come on the Shelby GT-H.
Does the author of that worthless article also claim that the 325 h.p. rating for that car is ALSO bogus, and that Carroll Shelby is therefore just a senile old fool who was duped (or perhaps bribed?) by Ford into using their "worthless" mods.......??
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I can't recall if that article was MM&FF or another Mustang mag, but it did stick in my head that the pack created no HP gains. I'll try to find it if I can and post back but by now I probably don't have it anymore.

Increased throttle response and firmer shifting with an auto can sometimes make a car feel more powerful despite the same hp.I'm not saying it doesn't work, just reporting what I read. I would still stick with one of our proven vendors for a tune regardles of a particular CAI.

OEM manufacturers warranty their aftermarket programming b/c they usually err way on the side of safety and are not as aggressive with their programming. No doubt the Saleen and Roush S/C stock tunes are begging to be improved by dyno tuners as they come from the factory, just as one example.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

so wait, the cai and exhaust kit you can buy from the dealership, well really jsut the exhaust are frpp stingers? did i read that right?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

I agree that the Ford (and Saleen & Roush SC) tunes err on the side of caution and are less "aggressive" than say a Brenspeed or Evolution tune (my FRPP installer even made it a point of telling me this after I asked him the difference between Ford's tune and that of Brenspeed & Evolution), but I for one would much rather have my drivetrain last longer with a slightly "safer" tune than to take a chance on having it possibly disintigrate in a few short years just to tweak a few extra h.p. out of the engine.
What's more, "JimsGT" told me that after switching from his C & L intake and "more aggressive" Evolution 93 octane tune- the difference between those mods and the FRPP was "almost unnoticable".

As for a True increase in h.p. (Ford claims 20 r.w.h.p. and 25 with an added x-pipe) instead of just a "sensation" of more power from increased throttle response & shift points- I feel SUCH a big difference in "seat of the pants" performance that I believe that 20 h.p. claim completely, and very much doubt that the Shelby GT-H, with the exact same mods that I have, would be promoted as having 325 h.p. were this not absolutely true.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

a 3.31 to a 3.55 will feel no difference
really? i have an automatic for what its worth....

i have yet to hear the borlas in person, but i personally love the sound of the flomasters, and i cant wait to get a tune and better CAI.

about all this err'ing on the side of caution, my personal solution will be to use a 89 or 91 tune with the 93 that is served up by all my local stations. i figure this should give a nice cushion for caution and although i have no hard facts to back this up im guessing the HP differences between the two tunes would be minimal. heck just getting rid of the throttle lag, firming up shift points, and increasing the rev limiter a bit will make a HUGE difference with an automatic.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

You'reright, the Shelby GT does probably put out the stated numbers. I would love to see a before and after dyno pull on one of our members' cars with the Ford CAI and tune to get a real sense.

JimsGT" told me that after switching from his C & L intake and "more aggressive" Evolution 93 octane tune- the difference between those mods and the FRPP was "almost unnoticable".
Well, not to start another debate, or beat this one to death, but I and at least one other member here (who shall remain nameless) have both Fred's and Brent's tune, both 93 octane. And if what is stated above is true then I'm not suprised he felt no difference.

I see you're in NJ. If you're ever at one of the meets in NY like Belmont this year you're more than welcome to drive my car and I'll switch out Fred's and Brent'stunes for ya. The difference is not even close.

Quick Reply: aftermarket mods