Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 AM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: aftermarket mods

still wondering what mufflers come on the Ford power upgrade package?

if i read right, someone above said that they are borla stingers

and i hear people talk about frpp stingers all the time? what are those?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AMBmustangGT

still wondering what mufflers come on the Ford power upgrade package?

if i read right, someone above said that they are borla stingers

Nope, they're GTA mufflers with double-walled 4 inch tips.
If you read my thread which deals at length with the FRPP (as I suggested to you in my earlier reply to your questions) you'll find ALL the answers you're looking for........
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 AM
AMBmustangGT
1st Gear Member

anywhere that has a sound clip of that?

so far from what i've heard im liking the mac axlebacks the best
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

You'reright, the Shelby GT does probably put out the stated numbers. I would love to see a before and after dyno pull on one of our members' cars with the Ford CAI and tune to get a real sense.

JimsGT" told me that after switching from his C & L intake and "more aggressive" Evolution 93 octane tune- the difference between those mods and the FRPP was "almost unnoticable".
Well, not to start another debate, or beat this one to death, but I and at least one other member here (who shall remain nameless) have both Fred's and Brent's tune, both 93 octane. And if what is stated above is true then I'm not suprised he felt no difference.

I see you're in NJ. If you're ever at one of the meets in NY like Belmont this year you're more than welcome to drive my car and I'll switch out Fred's and Brent'stunes for ya. The difference is not even close.

I'd be more than happy to have my car dyno'd- if YOU volunteer to foot the bill.....
Seriously though, what I CAN tell you without having had it dyno'd, is that before the FRPP she only spun her wheels for a split second from a dig (with only me in the car), but NOW, she lays 10 feet of rubber from a low idle (600 r.p.m.) standing start- and with my wife in the passanger seat too!
What's more, when I floor it from a 20 or 25 m.p.h. roll she now actually fishtails for a few seconds.
That is a HUGE "real world" difference in performance, and if this is merely the "safe" "less aggressive" tune (which won't overtax the drivetrain), then that's really good enough for me!

I believe you when you say that the Brenspeed tune is superior to Evoluton (and the FRPP), but I can't help wondering- at what cost to your car in the long run?
You would think that both Ford and Carroll Shelby would want to make the GT-H as "hot" as possible, and 325 h.p. is only a modest increase over our stock GT's, so I'm thinking that the reason for this is to keep these cars durable enough so that they don't start falling apart after only 3 or 4 years from the effects of too much power (the GT-500 is of course an entirely different animal- with almost ALL different major componants to handle its 500 h.p.).
J.M.O.

P.S. I'd love to drive your car sometime to feel the actual difference from the tunes.
As far as that goes, the manager of Ford Racing said he could sell me an upgraded tune, when my warranty expires, that will give me 345 r.w.h.p. guaranteed.
Notice how he said: "when your warranty expires"..............
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Well, not to start another debate, or beat this one to death, but I and at least one other member here (who shall remain nameless) have both Fred's and Brent's tune, both 93 octane. And if what is stated above is true then I'm not suprised he felt no difference.

I see you're in NJ. If you're ever at one of the meets in NY like Belmont this year you're more than welcome to drive my car and I'll switch out Fred's and Brent'stunes for ya. The difference is not even close.
question as I'm about to buy a CAI and Xcal, is the Brenspeed set up worth the extra cabbage, as I contacted EVOperformance and his set up is a bit cheeper, and he to supplies the tunes from a dyno. I know the majority of you guys all use the brenspeed set up, but I can drive to EVOPERF, near where I grew up, but if the brenspeed is a proven better set up, then I'll shell out the extra 50 beans. But if it is close two free dyno runs and service that is within driving distance might be better off....input appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 02:18 AM
mack7265

I have to speak up about the flowmasters. I could tell a significant difference in the amount of flow after I had the series 40 flowmasters installed. And the sound is alot meaner.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:56 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

the manager of Ford Racing said he could sell me an upgraded tune, when my warranty expires, that will give me 345 r.w.h.p. guaranteed.
Really??!! Now that I would like to try! I haven't heard of this "upgrade" but I'll ask around at a couple of shops in my area. 345 at the rear wheels is quite an acheivement with our cars with just an upgraded tune. You're talking about 400hp at the crank! I don't see how this is possible.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

the manager of Ford Racing said he could sell me an upgraded tune, when my warranty expires, that will give me 345 r.w.h.p. guaranteed.
Really??!! Now that I would like to try! I haven't heard of this "upgrade" but I'll ask around at a couple of shops in my area. 345 at the rear wheels is quite an acheivement with our cars with just an upgraded tune. You're talking about 400hp at the crank! I don't see how this is possible.

What he meant was an EXTRA 25 h.p. over the FRPP I now have (which is rated at 20 h.p. without the x-pipe)- not an extra 45 h.p. JUST from a different tune (sorry for the confusion- my bad).
He told me that his dad (who just happens to be the owner of the dealership) has that on HIS Stang GT.
Only "problem" once again is that, just like gears, this more aggressive tune will void the warranty.......[sm=sigh.gif]
Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AMBmustangGT

oh i know i can get gears, but if its the same as my bronco was that's $1400 installed. and if i did gears i'd also add a limited slip which is about another $400

your probably gonna slap me for this. but im not really sure what the dff in rwhp and flywheel hp is.

if i had to take an educated guess. fwhp is basically what the manufacturer says the carhas (GT = 300)
and rwhp is what it actually does on the streeet (probably around 260-270hp)....am i even close?
no. fwhp is front wheel horse power, rwhp is rear wheel horsepower. i'm assuming u meant fly wheel though.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

IMO you can forget listening to "sound clips". They just don't give anywhere near the actual sound of mufflers. You need to find someone who has the mufflers you're interested in and listen to them on site.
For example I was turned off by the sound clips for the GTAs. But I kept hearing such great things about them I made the plunge. I love 'em; couldn't be happier.