Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window and Ragtop rattle. Was: coin rattle under windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
NetComrade

Default Driver Window and Ragtop rattle. Was: coin rattle under windshield?

I just picked a barefly used 2005 GT (under 6K miles), and there is an extremely annoying rattle coming from the passenger side . It seems like there is a coin stuck under the windshield. However, I have no idea how to try to get it out. I've tried moving a folded piece of pager, but the space is so deep and 'narrow' that I am not sure I'll be able to get it out. (Frankly, I am not 100% sure it coming from there, but judging from the sound, it can't really come from anywhere else.. initially I thought the vents, but closing them didn't dimm the sound a bit).

Driver Window and Ragtop rattle are discussed further below
Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: coin rattle under windshield?

I've got it too... and when I turn a corner, sometimes it rolls from one side to the other. Very annoying. Probably an a**hole factory worker being a smartass put one in there.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

TSB 06-4-1 covers console rattles...for 05-06...maybe that covers your rattle?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Unless your ear is within a few inches of the actual rattle location, it can be difficult to pinpoint a rattle. It may very well be a coin under the dash, but to eliminate at least one other possibility, try sticking a small pad or piece of cushioned tape under the little removeable panel behind your inside door handle (I couldn't locate that rattle for the life of me until I read about it here). After I eliminated the rattle on the passenger side, I did the same for the driver side door.... ahhhhhhh.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

My mustang is only 2 weeks old and I've noticed the rattle too. I think it's either the glove box or it's right under the top portion of the dashboard. Pretty annoying...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 AM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

I may have the rattle too but I always have the radio up too high and if I don't have that up, then the Magna Flow Exh. drowns it out.......hehehehehehe. Realy, I have a rattle to but it only seems to be at higher speeds. Mine sounds like it right in back of the radio.I took the radio out and checked all the screws that I could get to and still have it.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 AM
NetComrade

Finally took it to the dealer today. Drove my old 1994 V6 while 2005 is at the dealer, and I must report that my old stang with 180K miles on it is much less rattly.

Asked the dealer to look into
* 'cliking' sound under the hood (sounded like a known issue in one of the TSBs)
* cabin fan noise (my old mustang has the same noise, but it only appeared about a year ago)
* driver side handle rattle
* coin rattle (which I don't think is really a coin, some TSB posted earlier made sense)
* window rattle (they driver side windows seem to rub against each other)

Should've mentioned the roof rattle, and the annoying popping out sun protectors, which also start to rattle.

So far, kind of disappointed with quality. Took off the 'Build w/ Ford Quality', or whatever the sign was off the window .. don't embarass yourself Ford!

I'll let everyone know how my experience with Ford dealerhip goes.
Last time they took my V6 for a recall hand break, they didn't do ****.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:10 AM
NetComrade

So spoke to the dealer earlier today..
* wouldn't fix the engine (see my other post)
* claimed fan noise doesn't exist
* claimed the handle doesn't rattle
* claimed there is no coin rattle
(I was like, you gotta be ****ting me, did you drive the car?.. their response was you need to talk to the mechanic)
* window rattle, they did 'fix'.. they said "the window rubber needed to be re-lubricated, this is not covered as part of the warranty". WTF does bumper to bumper warranty means? The car is practically new (7K miles), my understanding was that only things out of obvious neglect are not covered.

Anyway, generally very much upset about the whole experience, just feeling like I am being ripped off, and they're not being helpful at all. The dealer is DiBlasi Ford @ Queens.. I did not buy the car from this dealer originally (bought it 'barely' used elsewhere). At this point (and since I still have my old 94 'stang) I feel like I'll go there and just tell them to work on it until they fix it and not pay crap, however, others might offer other suggestions on convincing them to do the actual work and acknowledge problems.

Let me know what your experience is

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
NetComrade

I went to the DiBlasi dealer today (car's been there for a week). Convinced them to replace the fan, fix the door rattle, and look for that coin rattle.
They tried to stick me with some $200 bill for 'waxing the rubber on the windows', and 'diagnosing the engine rattle which is not there'.

Maybe I'll pay it if they fix everything else
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
VaBeachMustang
1st Gear Member

Same problem here. Stealership said that the plastic moldings are not made very well and rub when turning or hitting bumps. They told me to spray a little Armor All in there to minimize the noise since they really dont have a fix for it.

Quick Reply: Driver Window and Ragtop rattle. Was: coin rattle under windshield?