Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:26 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just Springs??

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Panhard Bar yes that is a must. Adj. UCA or LCA yes you need to correct pinion angle. I also suggest if your going to lower the car do it right and get the Tokico D-Specs Shocks and struts.

RIchard

That's not necessarily true about the panhard bar. Every car is different. My car is lowered with the FRPP (Eibach) springs and my rear end is still very centered. It's about 1/8th of an inch to the left, which I can live with. So you do have the option of lowering it first and seeing where you're at before making the panhard bar decision.

I haven't measured my pinion angle yet, but yes, it's probably not ideal. No clunks or anything though.

I agree completely on the schocks. I tried just the springs for a short while and the car was very, very bouncy, at least on certain roads. It was very annoying. Also, make sure and trim the rear bump stops. That also makes a huge difference. Mine had very little clearance between the chassis and the stops.I'm sure it was hitting them almost all the time.

Dave Kegel
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Part of the problem here is that every person has a different opinion as to what is "OK" and what is "Not OK".

For example, some people wash their car once every six months and they are perfectly happy with that. Others wash their car once a week and spend hours on detailing and buffing to get that perfect look they want.Most of us are somewhere in the middle.

If you lower your car (any amount) it is a FACT that several things will change as a result of it. These things include:
Front end camber
Pinion angle
Rear axle offset
Instant center

The question then becomes, are you OK with these things being out of factory spec? If you are the kind of person who wants everything to perform as good or better than when it left Ford's plant, then you need to address these things with the appropriate mods.

On the other hand, you can let them slide too...it's purely your decision.

I aways recommend that people fix their camber and pinion angle when they lower the car as a bare minimum becasue these things directly affect the reliability and durability of the car. Camber especially--driving around with out-of-spec camber will wear your front tires unevenly, and quite quickly. It is also a major safety concern that can hurt your braking or steering in an emergency.

Instant center isn't that big of a deal to the average street driver and the rear axle offset (panhard bar) is mainly a cosmetic issue, so in my opinion these things are up to the individual person's desires and goals for their car.

But in the end I stand firmly by recommending the adjustable LCAs for pinion angle correction and the alignment for camber. The reasons are solid. Not only will the adjustable LCAs get your pinion angle correct, but they are also a great traction-enhancing mod in their own right, and thus are well worth the cost. The alignment is of course a major safety and durability concern, so don't skimp there either.

You paid a lot of money for this car. Don't risk your car's performance and safety by trying to save a few bucks on a shortcut lowering job. If you want to do that, why buy new springs at all? Just take a blowtorch to the stock ones and it'll be even cheaper.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

hey crazy al, i went and measured mine and the driveshaft angle was 4 and the pinion angle was -1, am i in good or bad shape lol.

BUMP, crazy al what do you think
Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 AM
06VistaGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

If you lower your car (any amount) it is a FACT that several things will change as a result of it. These things include:
Front end camber
Pinion angle
Rear axle offset
Instant center

The question then becomes, are you OK with these things being out of factory spec? If you are the kind of person who wants everything to perform as good or better than when it left Ford's plant, then you need to address these things with the appropriate mods.
I think you hit the nail on the head, at least partially.I agree with your position on camber (alignment is a must) and the rear axle offset and instant center (modest lowering changes this very little).However, factory spec on pinion angle has a veryhigh tolerance.Iwould be surprised if a modest drop (<1.5") caused more than 10% of the cars to be out of spec. With that said, I think all of these upgrades would improve performance for ANY Mustang, lowered or not, as nothing comes off the assembly line perfectly dialed in.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 AM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl seems like he knows his s*@t pretty well!!! If i have any questions im coming to this dude for help lol
Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

hey crazy al, i went and measured mine and the driveshaft angle was 4 and the pinion angle was -1, am i in good or bad shape lol.

BUMP, crazy al what do you think
Sorry it took me so long to see this! That seems a bittoo large to me. I would knock about two degrees off of it. Try to shoot for about 2.5-3.0 degrees difference between the two measurements. Right now you've got 5 degrees.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

No a Panhard bar is not a must.. Is it a good idea? Yes. I have my Gt lowered with the Eibach Prokit, and no other suspension mods at this time. My axle is dead center with just the stock bar. So you may or my not need the bar.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
policefordtuff

how do you adjust lca's? do you just buy a set of adjustable lca's and they r already adjusted? who do i take it to?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

LCAs do not come "pre adjusted". The whole point of them is that you can adjust them for a custom setting for YOUR car and your exact mods & needs.

This thread contains specific directions for pinion angle adjustments using adjusable LCAs:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2570375/tm.htm

As for the adjustment itself, each LCA has a turnbuckle in it. You turn it with a wrench to make the LCA longer or shorter. When you get it set how you want it, there are jam nuts you tighten down to lock the adjustment into place.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
policefordtuff

thanx a ton crazy al! any specific brand i should go with? and has anyone found camber adjusters? ive lowered mine and my camber is off to where the top of the tire bows in towards the motor. i havent found any yet? thanx guys!

Quick Reply: Just Springs??