Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT 5spd + snow = !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT 5spd + snow = !!!!!

When I was caught in an unexpected 4 inch snow storm on the way to workI was okay while driving slow on flat terrain. However, when I had to stop on a slight incline for a red light, getting started again was a b***h. The tires just spun and the backend kicked out about 30 degrees but I was able to make the incline slowly climbing like this. Rather than risk it any further I found the nearest parking lot and walked the rest of the way.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

Bad weather is bad, with any car...
I almost drove a '98 Mercury Sable GS into the trees....taking a corner at 12MPH. It was quite a sharpie, but scared me ****less nonetheless. Seeing as its a fwd car, just touching the gas would make the front wheels spin= no grip, if not little at all. Snow is really a death trap, but fun for snowmobiling![8D]
Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
outpost77
1st Gear Member

I too got stuck in the snow on the way home last week. Not a lot but enough to cover the roads. My auto w/stock tires handled the roadadequately for the short distance I had to travel. The hardest part of the ride was trying to get up the slight incline of my driveway into the garage. I needed a running start for a rather exciting "thread the needle" exercise. This is why I kept my Jeep. I drove that this morning. The alternative vehicle is the way to go in the snow if it is an option.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

i think the people that say the mustang is great in snow are the people that live in big cities and are used to "driving in snow" meaning driving with 1/10 of an inch of snow on the ground since the plows are out 24/7.

i also think that the people that say the mustang sucks in snow are the people that live in the country where the plows take hours if not days to clear the roads, or live down south where there aren't any plows, or live in the city and have had to drive when there has actually been several inches of snow on the ground.

all i know is, regardless of what tires you have (unless they're studded or have chains which are illegal in most us states), the mustang SUCKS if more then 1/2 an inch of snow is on the ground, and noone can dispute that. TCS on, TCS off, this car SUCKS and is almost uncontrollable if any real snow is on the ground.

period.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Have to coment that the newer Mustangs do NOT suck in the snow, they are no worse than any other rear-wheel drive car. I've got Hancock Icebears on all 4 wheels,5 spd. You do have to be gentle pulling out, but thats the only issue I've had with mine.They do not do as well as a front wheel drive, but you just have to adjust your driving habits.
I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in the hills of western PA & we only ever put winter tires on the rear then ( no front wheel drive cars back then)
For a 'sports' car I think this car does real well IMO.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

MIxed reviews here. But, I am not driving this thing on the snow.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I live on the southside of Chicago and was driving around in the crap yesterday. I have an automatic and I was still having issues taking off with the TCS on. I am still more worried about the other jackasses on the road though. I'm currently looking for a beater to drive in the winter.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

and my uncle bitches at me for having 4 snow tires....lmao
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
blackonblackstang

Iowa here and we have had a lot of snow.... Keep your RPM's down to 3000 or less and that really helps..... Daily driver here to and no problems.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

i think the people that say the mustang is great in snow are the people that live in big cities and are used to "driving in snow" meaning driving with 1/10 of an inch of snow on the ground since the plows are out 24/7.

i also think that the people that say the mustang sucks in snow are the people that live in the country where the plows take hours if not days to clear the roads, or live down south where there aren't any plows, or live in the city and have had to drive when there has actually been several inches of snow on the ground.

all i know is, regardless of what tires you have (unless they're studded or have chains which are illegal in most us states), the mustang SUCKS if more then 1/2 an inch of snow is on the ground, and noone can dispute that. TCS on, TCS off, this car SUCKS and is almost uncontrollable if any real snow is on the ground.

period.
Dude, you're just plain wrong. I live in the "big city" of Buffalo NY where we have the occasional bit of snow. "Driving in the snow" here means anywhere from a dusting on the roads to hard packed snow mixed with sand all the way up to several unplowed inches. I'm not sure what utopia you speak of, but I can assure you we dont have plows out 24/7.

All I was saying was that the Blizzaks level the playing field between our Mustangs and other cars on the road. I have a stock V6 5 speed, no TCS, no ABS, and with the snow tires my car handles predictably and safely in any weather. Of course that also means my driving style is appropriate for the weather, not like the guy on here who was surprised he spun out on a snowy highway on-ramp doing 60mph or the guy who tried a lane change across a snowy interstate at 85mph.

Quick Reply: GT 5spd + snow = !!!!!