Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Falling Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Falling Rocks!!

So, as some of you know I am finally home on leave and driving around my 06GT for the first time since I bought it. It only has 457 miles on it and runs strong as he!!. Well, yesterday I decided to take her out on the highway to open it up a little and "blow the dust out of her". I was behind a semi for about 30 seconds when a rock bounces out from under the tire and smashes into the right front corner of my hood. It took a nice chip of paint with it too!! D@mn those truckers! No offense if any of yall drive trucks - but why cant they put some flaps over their tires to prevent this stuff?
Anyways, I can vent all day over this...... what is the best fix for this paint chip??
Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Falling Rocks!!

How wide & deep is the chip? If it's more than a few millimeters wide, I wouldn't bother with touch-up paint, and just take it to a body shop.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Well at least you got THAT over with....I had a similar story, the VERY first time I drove mine, a trash truck pulled over in front of me, and dropped a large metal object that fortunately bounced off of my windshield, and didn't crack it....so I was lucky.

It depends on the size of the chip, a chip larger than the head of a q-tip, it might be better to take it to a body shop. Smaller chips CAN be repaired with duplicolor paint chip repair kits....but to do it correctly will take some time, and a bit of knowledge. you will have to build the spot up higher than the original paint, wait for it to dry, take a razor blade and with the proper tool, CUT the high area off. Take a small sanding disk, that also should come with the kitand sand a very small area around the filled in chip until it's perfectly smooth, then tape off an area, and shoot a little clear on it, then buff it out......it CAN be done, and it's cheap, but do your homework before you attempt it, and take your time or you WILL end up in the body shop anyway.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

yea i had a post here, if u search it where i got some nasty chips and headlight scratches from just one truck, i was so pissed and i couldnt catch him because he was going the other way at about 50mph+ in a 35mph speed zone. I had the whole fender repainted and parts of the bumper touched up, because the body shop told me not to paint my bumpers unless they experience heavy damage
Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

If you look down at your keyboard... the chip is about the size of the "coma" on your key. Not huge, but still a chip from a rock.... as far as depth, I have a windveil blue car and I can see a greyish color where that small piece of paint is missing.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about simply because it is garunteed to happen again. It's always the first one that kills you.

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

If you look down at your keyboard... the chip is about the size of the "coma" on your key. Not huge, but still a chip from a rock.... as far as depth, I have a windveil blue car and I can see a greyish color where that small piece of paint is missing.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

There were a few trucks going east on 44 through Tulsa convoy style, so I was picking my way around them till the last one. I was behind the last one and I think his buddy must have called him on the cb because this guy hugs the center divider where all the sand is still there from the snow. He kicks all this crap up in front of me. What a pecker head.Semis and dump trucks I give a wide berth unless I have enough room to get around quick.