Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Very Own OIL COMPARISION CHART

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default My Very Own OIL COMPARISION CHART

OK, After reading 18 zillion different threads about oil changes the discussions on which oil is best I thought it would be good to give a little side by side comparison. This way everyone can see for themselves which is "best" and make their decisions based off of fact instead of opinion.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: My Very Own OIL COMPARISION CHART

Also, here is a third party OIL FILTER comparison chart to round out this informational thread....

Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang
OK, After reading 18 zillion different threads about oil changes the discussions on which oil is best I thought it would be good to give a little side by side comparison. This way everyone can see for themselves which is "best" and make their decisions based off of fact instead of opinion.
Well thanks for going through all the trouble but WTF does the first chart mean to us regular guys? The second chart, if accurate, is more meaningful. I just posted that chart yesterday. I picked it up from someones earlier post. Its getting around.

Here is a link to some RP oil tests that are interesting.

http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html
Old 02-12-2007, 03:13 PM
casdds11

I often find that alot of research whether clinical or provided by a manufacter is often skewed or intenionally designed to yield a result/outcome.
The big question is are those values in those charts within normal limits for operating safely and are the differences significant? (i.e does one oil become sludge at -200 C and the other -250 C, but who cares since we won't ever approach those temps?)

The oil companies and the car dealerships/lube places are more concernced about 3000 mile intervals than Ford is. If Ford had engines that were known to fail at 80k miles and a lack of regular 3000 mile oil changes people wouldn't buy Ford. Ford'ds incentive is to build an engine that doesn't need oil changes for long extended periods of time and an engine that lasts as long as possible.

A car manufacter's goal is to keep you away from the service department as long as possible so that you associate value to the car and buy another one.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Thanks for these posts. I findthe first chart quite informative.

However, I would beware that second one regarding the oil filters. I posted the link to that full site the other day. If anyone wants it again, here it is again:

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

....However, that "rating system" is EXTREMELY subjective. The only part of it that is actually calculated is the filter surface area information and of course the price. But the vast majority of the "data" which goes into the final results is basically just one man's opinion.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

The first chart basically shows Redline owning all other oils .

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i know the first chart is very technical, and is beyond me in many respects but its the hard scientific proof of how an oil performs.

my take is this.....

quaker state and royal purple dont meet the "SM" specs, which is the latest that modern oils should conform to (like the ford syn blend
royal purple also fails to meet the "GF-4" specs - another example of this oil not meeting the latest specs.
if im reading these right, low viscosity is good which means if you live at the south pole mobile 1 is best but at normal cooler temps pennzoil is best for initial startup
redline is the least volatile when it comes to high heat
i believe sulfer is a bad thing, so of those listing this spec valvoline is best.
i applaud pennzoil and valvoline for providing the most comprehensive details on their product - it tells me they have nothing to "hide"

overall, my take is that it appears redline really is the best oil followed by a tie between mobile 1 and amsoil. it also seems like royal purple falls short in multiple areas which is enough for me to not wanna use it.

that being said i don't think mobil 1, pennzoil, valvoline, motorcraft, or amsoil would ever cause us a problem. these numbers ARE close enough, and since i have been using pennzoil in every other vehicle i own and in the new stang since its first change i will keep the oil in there the same.

btw, i appreciate the appreciation of me spending half my morning doing this research.... hopefully it serves the community well
Old 02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I have read more than 1 oil report saying that mobil1 is one of the best filters out there. I think I will try to search for some of those tests to see.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Looking forward to completing a PhD in "oil-tology"so that I can understand all these numbers...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

in plain english it appears that Redline 5W-20 and Motorcraft Filters takes the win.

.....who'd a thought?

Quick Reply: My Very Own OIL COMPARISION CHART