Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I saw the new Shelby GT 350 today

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I saw the new Shelby GT 350 today

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

I agree the thing is overpriced if you include the dealer markup, but you are buying the name and that precious VIN that says its a "Shelby." Long term, its a better investment than buying a GT and spending the cash difference on mods.

20 years from now, a 2007 Mustang GT with mods is still just a 2007 Mustang GT. A Shelby GT, on the other hand, is a limited production car, and will therefore be worth a lot more in the long run (and, actually, in the short run as well).
JMO, but neither a 07 GT or an 07 Shelby GT, and the word investment, have any merit.
We'll have to disagree on that one. People were saying the same things in '66 when the first GT 350s came out. Back then, they were (as they are today) warmed-over Mustangs. Today they fetch much more than the cars they were derived from.

Over the long term - very long term - an 07 Shelby GT, low miles, well kept, would be an "investment." Moreso for a GT500.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

If I ever decided to sell my GT I would take off the add-ons and put back the stock parts which I do keep. That or in case I have a total loss due to a crash, I can take what I can off or the insurance will let me. S/C for sure. I just couldn't let my money go. If I did have the extra capital I wouldn't really mind an investment.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yeah it might be an investment but I drive my car and it has over 40,000 miles on it and I don't plan on keeping it stock for the next owner because I want to enjoy it and not be punished for not being stock.[:@]
Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I agree the thing is overpriced if you include the dealer markup, but you are buying the name and that precious VIN that says its a "Shelby." Long term, its a better investment than buying a GT and spending the cash difference on mods.

20 years from now, a 2007 Mustang GT with mods is still just a 2007 Mustang GT. A Shelby GT, on the other hand, is a limited production car, and will therefore be worth a lot more in the long run (and, actually, in the short run as well).
JMO, but neither a 07 GT or an 07 Shelby GT, and the word investment, have any merit.
We'll have to disagree on that one. People were saying the same things in '66 when the first GT 350s came out. Back then, they were (as they are today) warmed-over Mustangs. Today they fetch much more than the cars they were derived from.

Over the long term - very long term - an 07 Shelby GT, low miles, well kept, would be an "investment." Moreso for a GT500.
I understand what you are saying but if you talk to 1000 investment advisors they will not suggest you"invest" 40-50k in any new production car, investing for the future will not include buying new cars.
Instead of buying a GT 500,you put 60k in one of the many straight savings accts (not even aCD) at 5.25% for 40 years (1966 Shelby is 41 years old), you would have $487,731.07with no risk. There are costs associated with the 40 year ownership of a automobile; insurance, repairs, storage, etc, etc, etc. There is no cost associated with the simple investment I've mentioned here. That 60k auto would have to be worth well overthis 1/2 million dollarsafter expenses. That's a risk no one would advise.

For anyone that thinks you can't get over 5% on simple savings, no minimum, no fees, hasn't been on the internet enough. I'll clue you in if I have to. There are conservative investments much better than 5.25, I just use this as a low end simple example. Your result could easily be approx 1 million on $60k for 40 years.

Yes there are taxes on the savings gain, but technically there are taxes on the capital gain sale of the auto as well.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:13 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I understand what you are saying but if you talk to 1000 investment advisors they will not suggest you "invest" 40-50k in any new production car, investing for the future will not include buying new cars.
Instead of buying a GT 500, you put 60k in one of the many straight savings accts (not even a CD) at 5.25% for 40 years (1966 Shelby is 41 years old), you would have $487,731.07 with no risk. There are costs associated with the 40 year ownership of a automobile; insurance, repairs, storage, etc, etc, etc. There is no cost associated with the simple investment I've mentioned here. That 60k auto would have to be worth well over this 1/2 million dollars after expenses. That's a risk no one would advise.

For anyone that thinks you can't get over 5% on simple savings, no minimum, no fees, hasn't been on the internet enough. I'll clue you in if I have to. There are conservative investments much better than 5.25, I just use this as a low end simple example. Your result could easily be approx 1 million on $60k for 40 years.

Yes there are taxes on the savings gain, but technically there are taxes on the capital gain sale of the auto as well.
True, but that is not my point - I'm not comparing buying a Shelby GT as opposed to investing the same amount of money in a savings account or CD... that would be ridiculous. The comparison is between an '07 Shelby GT and an '07 Mustang GT with mods bought with the savings difference. In the long run, the Shelby will be worth more. Therefore, a "better investment." That's all.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Once again, lots of weird opinions here, not to mention that there's no such thing as an 07'Shelby GT350! I guess some folks are just livin' in the past!
And for all those who think it's better to buy a GT and add all the racing parts, please remember to replace all the following:
3:55 REAR AXLE FRONT AND REAR DAMPERS LOWERING SPRINGS FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS STRUT TOWER BRACE 90MM COLD AIR KIT PERFORMANCE MUFFLERS PRO-CAL PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION PERFORMANCE X-PIPE EXHAUST HURST SHORT-THROW SHIFTER SHELBY APPEARANCE PACKAGE FRONT AND REAR FASCIA SIDE SCOOPS 18" PREMIUM ALUMINUM WHEELS SHELBY HOOD SCOOP RACING GRADE HOOD PINS BILLET FRONT GRILL AUTHENTIC "SHELBY" TRUNK-LETTER KIT "POWERED BY FORD" FENDER BADGES DASH PLAQUE WITH CSM SERIAL NUMBERING "07SGTXXXX" "SHELBY GT" ALUMINUM DOOR SILLS SILVER RACING STRIPE KIT CUSTOM SHELBY FLOORMAT BADGES

Be sure you have the side air bags and that they only make 3-4000 that year!
If you can do all that for the difference in sticker between the GT and the Shelby GT ($7-8000) then clearly you don't value your time very highly! You need to include the hours it takes to do all those mods. And even at $40K+, what else is there as cool as the Shelby GT, with such a limited #? You think the Challenger will be any cheaper? No!
Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

You are right, except that Chrysler and Chevy are going to markup initially; patience though and you will be able to get any of these cars at MSRP and below. Paying and extra 10kfor future value is "financial foolery". JMHO.

Anyone can have that grill (the shape/fit is terrible in the lower outer corners; at least in black it wouldn't be as noticeable)I'm no fan of what Ford did here and the price is rediculous.
I agree with that grill...I saw the same one on either Cervini's or Steeda, I think...It's a nice look, but I don't know that I'd pay $41k for a Hurst shifter, some graphics, a non-functional hood scoop, and some badges...Oh, and the suspension package. BFD. I've seen Galpin Ford put out better looking custom jobs than this thing, and I'm not impressed with a lot of the Galpin cars. I think this new batch of Shelby Mustangs isn't going to be worth the same as the classics, because it's not the original...and not EVERYTHING with the Shelby name holds its value...

Check out a Shelby Daytona. You can pick those things up fairly cheap. Of course, part of it too is because they're fugly and the s197 shape isn't...
Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sprzout

You are right, except that Chrysler and Chevy are going to markup initially; patience though and you will be able to get any of these cars at MSRP and below. Paying and extra 10kfor future value is "financial foolery". JMHO.

Anyone can have that grill (the shape/fit is terrible in the lower outer corners; at least in black it wouldn't be as noticeable)I'm no fan of what Ford did here and the price is rediculous.
I agree with that grill...I saw the same one on either Cervini's or Steeda, I think...It's a nice look, but I don't know that I'd pay $41k for a Hurst shifter, some graphics, a non-functional hood scoop, and some badges...Oh, and the suspension package. BFD. I've seen Galpin Ford put out better looking custom jobs than this thing, and I'm not impressed with a lot of the Galpin cars. I think this new batch of Shelby Mustangs isn't going to be worth the same as the classics, because it's not the original...and not EVERYTHING with the Shelby name holds its value...

Check out a Shelby Daytona. You can pick those things up fairly cheap. Of course, part of it too is because they're fugly and the s197 shape isn't...
[/quote

+1000
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

The markup on Shelbysback in the old days was a couple hundred bucks, not tens of thousands. These cars might appreciate but no telling how much and how long it will take, 41k relegates these to collector cars straight to storage. The whole Shelby thing is blown way out of reality, most people here have modded GTs that are nicer and faster.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:12 AM
vindriving_mustang

Nice pics! I think the stripes rock!

Quick Reply: I saw the new Shelby GT 350 today