Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin on Un-Tinted Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default Moleskin on Un-Tinted Windows?

I'm going to get my windows tinted some time this summer, but I was wondering, would there be any point to putting MoleSkin on the interior weather strips before I get the tint done?

Even on un-tinted, normal glass, the little dust particles and everything that build up can still scratch the glass just like they can scratch the tint, right? So is there any sense on putting MoleSkin on a window you haven't tinted yet? If I leave the weather strips how they are, and there are any little scratches on the glass itself, will that show up when the tint is put on, or will the tint just cover over any existing scratches and you won't be able to tell?

And is there any disadvantage to having MoleSkin on the interior strips? Will taking away the super-tight seal between the strip and the window cause any problems in terms of moisture getting in there or anything, or is it just something Ford didn't bother doing to save money?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
ned4spe
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Moleskin on Un-Tinted Windows?

my tint shopput it on mine other wise they said they cant tint the windows, because they had to many come back with scratches on them.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ned4spe

my tint shopput it on mine other wise they said they cant tint the windows, because they had to many come back with scratches on them.
Exactly the same with mine. They also insisted that they wouldn't do it without putting on the moleskin.

Doesn't answer raubt's question, though...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I placed the felt my self. I do have tinted window, but I think that placing the felt even w/o tinted window is a good idea. The scratching will also scratch the window...so why not protect it.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

Do tinters have to pop the door panel to tint the sides... ?? Ifto panelsare not scratching the glass from the factory the they must not be reattaching it properly..

Anyways I was thinking if it ain't broke ...

Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I actually don't know how the tint folks deal install the tint.But a few months back, some of the folks here stated that their windows were gettingscratched. Unfortunately, by the time I came around to read those posts was too late for me. I've had my Stang for less than 1 month when I noticed the scratches on the driver side window. I bought my Stang in July and as you can imagine I was top down many times. When I became aware of the issue...I took a close look at my tint and sure enough..acouple of two inch longscratches. I wished at the time I had known about the moleskisn(I actually used felt)and place it before the tint. Even if the tint folks have to remove the panel, the moleskin would have still be attached to it...just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

I placed the moleskin my self. I do have tinted window, but I think that placing the moleskin even w/o tinted window is a good idea. The scratching will also scratch the window...so why not protect it.
Could you post a picture so I can see how you placed the Moleskin? BTW Moleskins are great for shoes too!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Hard to skin the little buggers though.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
numb
1st Gear Member

I had my 06 tinted,After a while there wwere tons of vertical scratches on tint,I took back and they fixed but they told me this is a common problem they are satarting 2 find with 05,07 mustangs
Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I'm installing moleskin this weekend. My tint store is gonna re-do the scratchedwindows for free. If anyone else has put in the moleskin, did you trim the strip to make it narrower? You would think that for the price they could have cut it themselves to the optimumwidth and had a little better instructions on placement. I just dont want the window snagging an edge and pulling it off.

Quick Reply: Moleskin on Un-Tinted Windows?