Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be an owner of a Mustang if it didn't have the retro look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Would you be an owner of a Mustang if it didn't have the retro look?

No I would not have bought mine if it wasn't for the retro look. This is my first Ford and I love it, but I wasn't thrilled with any Mustangs from the 70s and up. Until 2005 that is.

I have to disagree about the Charger. The Charger is not retro at all. It's a clean car, but there is nothing on it that echoes any of the old Chargers. I'm not a fan. Challenger yes, Charger no. But they'll screw up the Challenger too I bet.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Would you be an owner of a Mustang if it didn't have the retro look?

My last 3 cars were Mustangs. 66,95 & my 07. Before that was 36 years ofGM musclecars and a couple sports cars. I have to say my newer Mustangs have been very reliable. And yes I love the new style. That's the one thing that Ford did right was to change the Mustang style every 3-4 years. And GM's downfall was to not change the Camaro/Firebird but every 10 years except for the very early years. So your asking did the style make the difference "YES". How about GM's idea of the new GTO. That sucked. And I owned a 65 & 69. If they did a retro instead of a car that looked like every other car on the street they would have sold alot more.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I wasn't even considering the new mustang..cause I just didn't like them...but with the new body style..I had to research and order one. I should be getting my order in the next few weeks. I love the retro look, and the power. I think Ford would have gone bankrupt if they didn't hit a home run with this new mustang. I hope the muscle car era comes back..would be nice to race some of the new cars.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

This is my 3rd Ford, and my second Mustang. Had a 1995 V6, which I thought had some nice styling cues from the original '65 car. It was underpowered, but had lots of low end torque and handled really well.

Then I saw the s197 at the 2005 auto shows and knew THAT was the style Mustang I really wanted. It looked fast just sitting still.

In answer to your question, when it came time to say goodbye to the '95, I might have looked at something else other than a mustang if it wasnt so retro. So thats a maybe?...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:56 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

This is my 2nd Stang. If it weren't for the styling, I'd be rolling in eithera 350Z or a G35 coupe; more like the G35 coupe.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:58 PM
outpost77
1st Gear Member

I always wanted a 67 Mustang, and I almost bought a 99 Cobra (long story), so I can't say I never had an interest in Mustangs. But I can say that I decided I was going to get an 05+ the minute I saw the concept at the auto show. I took pictures of it on my cell phone, showed it to my wifeand kids and toldthemthat this was going to be my next car. It was. Everyone is thrilled, particularly me.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

I always the s197 since the first day I saw one. I cracked my dodge ram engine in half so I needed a new ride. The pony package was exactly whatI wanted! I would only ever change if they redo the Mustang II... THAT would be a hot ride!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

My previous mustang was a 69 Mach 1, so when I saw this S197 Retro version, I had to have it as Major Mojo for my mid-life crisis. Retro is where it's at, but being a cynical sort, I just KNOW they're gonna "IMPROVE" the current design, which just kills me. Leave the Retro look alone, DO NOT improve it. Don't turn it organic. Don't turn it into a RETRO Mustang II.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I personally don't care if they "IMPROVE" it and actually hope theymake terrible changes toit. It would be cool to have one of the redesigned unique Stangs that are not available to anyone else. Plus it will increase the worth of our rides....(not that I will ever sell it though).

ORIGINAL: Virgule

My previous mustang was a 69 Mach 1, so when I saw this S197 Retro version, I had to have it as Major Mojo for my mid-life crisis. Retro is where it's at, but being a cynical sort, I just KNOW they're gonna "IMPROVE" the current design, which just kills me. Leave the Retro look alone, DO NOT improve it. Don't turn it organic. Don't turn it into a RETRO Mustang II.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I've been a mopar person my whole life, my dad drag raced a 66 Hemi Coronet before Vietnam and then a 69 Coronet R/T 440 after Vietnam and until about a year after I was born. I've always looked down on Ford (Found On Road Dead, Flip Over Read Directions etc..) When the lease was up on my Dakota i decided I didn't need a truck anymore and wanted a sports car and Mopar didn't have what I wanted (2 door RWD V8 Stick) so I started looking at foreign cars. I liked the 350Z/Infiniti but just didn't feel right looking at foreign cars. I had decided just to buy a beater to drive for a few years until the Challenger came out when I drove by the Ford dealership in town and saw a Black GT with Red interior...typical me, I procrastinated and when I decided to go back and buy it, it was gone. They had no other GT's on their lot and couldn't find another one with the same specs that a dealership was willing to trade for. Well, I went walking through the storage lot of this dealership and found a Vista Blue GT, liked the color, test drove it and the rest is history.

Quick Reply: Would you be an owner of a Mustang if it didn't have the retro look?